Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine 450 Winch?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 03:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wolverine 450 Winch?

Blackturbo do you have any pics of your winch mounted out back? I have an '06 wolvi and am interested in the way you have mounted your winch.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:14 AM
Trailblazer

yeah i have some pics of when it was new when i put it on... I have since re-wired it so you cant see the wires, and its really easy since its real near the underneath seat storage area and battery. I have the contractor box or wiring block or whatever they call it in the underneath seat storage wrapped in plastic . it seems iam always getting water and mud in my storage compartment..

my wolverine

I used a univeral mounting plate that came with the winch and fabricated my one mountings using strong bolts and metal bars... the very right top mount of the mounting plate bolts to the flag pole hole on your rear bar.then i used some more heavier duty bolts on the rest of it . Ive winched about 5 times outta some serious deep holes,, and if the rear rack hasnt ripped off by now it wont.. I also used red loctite on all the bolts (well i use blue on all my bolts) just for safety and so it wont ever vibrate loose.. .I also keep a 25 feet tow rope wrapped around the rack behind the winch cause iam .always pulling myself or people outta crap. but Ive managed to winch myself from all directions using additional chains and snatchblocks..

mark

Old 03-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Blackturbo, those are some awesome pics. After riding in that deep of water do you have any tranny problems? Do you just open tranny plug and let it drain, or do you take off the cover and clean the clutch and belt? I haven't rode in that deep of water or mud yet and just curious what you have to do after riding in that deep of water and mud. Does water and mud go down the exhaust? Any info would be good, just like to know and learn from others experiences. Thanks Chris.

Old 03-17-2007, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

blackturbo have u had any problems with mud getting in the carb by the vent line?that was my problem and i clean the carb a bit but doesnt run all that good every now and then.i put the vent line in the air box now

Old 03-17-2007, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah,,, ive had some water coming out the belt drain plug a few times. theres been times where its been water over the seat and the exit pipe from the belt housing exits up underneath near the brake light .. but other than that all the other drains have been dry... Iam getting ready to pull the belt cover and inspect things when I get a new pressure washer (too much mud there to take it off).. but, i mean even when water got in there, it didnt seem to effect performance of the machine.. you wouldnt notice anything if you left water in there for a few days. . I havent been in any water thats over the gas tank because i know most of the vent lines and airbox inlet are mounted high behind the gas tank. when the exhaust goes under water, it wont get water in it while the engine is running... but if you stall out, yes water will enter thru the exhaust. its really fine as long as you dont go in water deep enough to get over the gas tank.. these same engines are on jet skis, they are made for water as long as you dont let water in your air inlet.. and dont stall or turn off your motor when your exhaust pipe is under water. but then again, I had a 2000 honda recon that was totally submerged in a swamp for 2 days before being recovered.. when we recovered it with a chevy 4x4 truck (it was 30 foot down a ravine) we got it to the house, drained the water and mud from the oil drain plug,,flushed it with cheap oil ,, and it fired right up and after that ran like it always did before it got submerged. I also remembered I had a briggs and stratton motor for a lawn tractor that was 12 horsepower, and it went thru a flood and was submerged for a few days and remember I just flushed it with cheap oil and it fired right up too. I also cleaned the carbs on both motors before firing them..

as for carb problems.... my wolverine stalls out when its on a steep incline, leaning to the right for some reason..

the bike is not going up to down,,, its almost tipping over on its right side.. I had to get off it because i thought it was gonna turn over on me.. me and a buddy then got it down to flat and level ground and it took awhile to get it started for some reason..we thought we flooded it with the amount of cranking I did. and we pulled the plug and it was totally dry (meaning no fuel was getting there to begin with) . let it sit for 10 mins and then bam it started back up. I havent really inspected the vent hose to the carb,,, but i guess its time I do so.. hope to get some updated pics soon...
mark

Old 03-17-2007, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

lucky you because ive still have problems with carp in my carb and i dont wanna pay the dealer 200 dollars for a rebuild.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

just take it apart yourself and clean it out really well... it will take maybe 3 hours and you won't have to pay 200 dollars... just make sure you shut your gas line off and u might wanna drain it before you take it out

Old 03-17-2007, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

i removed it once,and took out the bowl and clean it up a bit.but i didnt take it apart complete

Old 02-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by 07Wolvey450
just take it apart yourself and clean it out really well... it will take maybe 3 hours and you won't have to pay 200 dollars... just make sure you shut your gas line off and u might wanna drain it before you take it out
i had the same problem on my 07 and all i did to fix it was got a long enough piece of gas line and changed the vent line coming off the carb i ran it from the carb along the frame and into the seat compartment never had a problem since!!