Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

what would it take for my rap 350 to beat a ltz 400?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what would it take for my rap 350 to beat a ltz 400?

Originally posted by: SpDdEmOn
I've beat them with the Wolverine. Distance really didnt matter. lol piped ones too.

Jasonp - I am impressed you are one of the few really knowledgable ones on here.

Wow, that's awesome!! It looks like you have one bad *** Wolverine! Big cam in that beast to!! Bet it just screams.
I truly thank you for that coment!

Old 02-27-2007, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

yea thats one bada$$ wolverine. I got the piston, gaskets and sprocket in the mail the other day. Just waiting for the cam then I'm gonna install everything at once. And yes jasonp is one of the people who actually knows their stuff unlike me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 02-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

i saw a 04pred for $5000 so for the price of your ride and parts you should beable to pay for that now your going from trying to beat 400s to having 450r or 660rapters running beside you and 400s all the way in the dust.

Old 02-27-2007, 11:35 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: kyledvor61
yea thats one bada$$ wolverine. I got the piston, gaskets and sprocket in the mail the other day. Just waiting for the cam then I'm gonna install everything at once. And yes jasonp is one of the people who actually knows their stuff unlike me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]
Thanks for the coment!
What you can do to is take your engine appart now and take your cylinder/sleave and piston to a machine shop and have them hone it or bore it out. That way it will be all ready to put together when you get your cam. It's actually not all that expensive to have to them do it. Less then $50 dollars.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider

why would i want to get my cylinder bored? The piston i bought is a standard bore but a higher compression. And what does honed mean? As for the predator i'm way to young for a predator. I just got this raptor last year for an upgrade from a blaster since i kept blowin those up. basically any other quad wouldnt make sense. 300ex: to small,400ex:could prolly beat one of those right now, kfx,ltz,dvx: just dont like the ride of those, ltr,yfz,trx:way too big and quick,predator:same. I would prolly gt most the same upgrades anyway,nerfs,bumper,pipe,handguards, ETC.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: kyledvor61
why would i want to get my cylinder bored? The piston i bought is a standard bore but a higher compression. And what does honed mean? As for the predator i'm way to young for a predator. I just got this raptor last year for an upgrade from a blaster since i kept blowin those up. basically any other quad wouldnt make sense. 300ex: to small,400ex:could prolly beat one of those right now, kfx,ltz,dvx: just dont like the ride of those, ltr,yfz,trx:way too big and quick,predator:same. I would prolly gt most the same upgrades anyway,nerfs,bumper,pipe,handguards, ETC.
Well, every piston is made a little differently. Meaning how large they are in diameter. So it's a good idea to take the piston to a maching shop so they can measure the piston to cylinder wall clearance. If the piston is to large then they may have to bore the sleave out slightly to fit the piston but most of the time(more often then not) with a std. bore piston they can get away with honing the cylinder out. Hone is the process where they take a hone (has a bunch of ball stones and goes on a drill that turns and moves up and down at a there given rate of speed) and the hone basically grinds your cylinder at 2 different angles. This is called a cross hatch pattern. There are actually different angles for different rings and applilcations. This is why I trust a good machine shop because they work around this stuff and know it. Basically this is a clean up process and also aids in the rings to seat (break in, they call it) in with the cylinder wall(sleeve). If you didn't do this your rings will not seat in(wear in) to the cylinder wall of the sleave and thus causing blow by which also causes fuel contamation of the oil and also the rings can't wipe the oil off the cylinder walls so you tend to burn oil. It only makes sense to do this. This is also why I recomended a larger bore piston so you just in case your cylinder was to large/out of round or had deep scratches you could have had cleaned your cylinder up. Remember how I said there is a right way and a wrong way. ..

Old 02-28-2007, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

Well my dad owns his own machne shop. I know he has 3-4 CNC's along with like 40-50 brown and sharps. I'll see if the CNC's can do what you just said. If not a local shop owes us money and favors and stuff.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

Alright I finally got the cam in the mail yesterday. Very nicely packaged. Came with alot of other stuff too(posters,stickers, etc.)
So now I finally have all the parts in my garage. Piston,gaskets,cam,springs,clutch(i bought it awhile ago),sprocket,and outerwear(so i can cut the lid.) As or getting the cylinder honed my Dad has his CNC machine's and he can do that for me. Then once I get the money the local shop is gonna port the heads for me. Should be starting install soon. hopefully.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:09 AM
Pro Rider

I would recommend a professional builder to do the head porting. Honestly, I am speaking from experience and I will not lead you down the wrong path. It is an honest work of art and there is more to it than I can tell you on a forum. Let an engine builder port them for you, it should run a little under $200. You can tell the builder which setup you are going to run and he will port the head accordingly. Please do not mess and let someone do it wrong. There is alot to it that most shops don't know about but will pretend they know.

I will recommend Mickey Dunlap (814-842-6159), he is probably the best there is for this. Please call him and discuss your situation and options. He is a good guy and he will tell you like it is. Alot of people mess this up!!!! I don't remember the setup you are plan on running, but depending on it, he may tell you that you don't even need them ported.

Yes, it may require a little more down time but it's worth getting right. Please take my advice, I am a mechanical engineer.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: SpDdEmOn
I would recommend a professional builder to do the head porting. Honestly, I am speaking from experience and I will not lead you down the wrong path. It is an honest work of art and there is more to it than I can tell you on a forum. Let an engine builder port them for you, it should run a little under $200. You can tell the builder which setup you are going to run and he will port the head accordingly. Please do not mess and let someone do it wrong. There is alot to it that most shops don't know about but will pretend they know.

I will recommend Mickey Dunlap (814-842-6159), he is probably the best there is for this. Please call him and discuss your situation and options. He is a good guy and he will tell you like it is. Alot of people mess this up!!!! I don't remember the setup you are plan on running, but depending on it, he may tell you that you don't even need them ported.

Yes, it may require a little more down time but it's worth getting right. Please take my advice, I am a mechanical engineer.

You are right, I would recommend Mickey too because he dosn't just port your head, he puts it on the flow bench to make sure you getting whzt your supposed to.

Quick Reply: what would it take for my rap 350 to beat a ltz 400?