Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

1990 Moto 4

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1990 Moto 4

Hey my friend who moved left 2 mini ATV in the woods for me and my other buddy and left a go-kart under the porch. Well someone leaves there know. But we went in the woods today and the 2 ATV's are still there. We are going to get them and try to get the kart. But the ATV's are Rusty the motor is and has like leaves in it. I am wondering do you think i will be able to fix it to get it to run? What all would i have to do to the motor? The bike still moves like you know when a go-kart rust you cant move it. But we was still able to move it. Please let me know because we are gonna to get them because its 2 ATV. They need some work new paint and all i will do that myself to make it look good again but i just worry will i be able to get it to run. The bike is a moto 4.

Also more information
1 has a light one does not. The shift on one i was able to shift up but not down. I had to yank it up then down to get it to shift down. 1 still had oil in it. I am going to hook my car jumpers to the battery wire and see what it do.If not i can get a new wire harness. Also do this things have keys? Because it has a key hole on the frame but there no key slot or key.

Here some pixs.

pix
pix2
pix3
pix4
pix5
pix6
pix7
pix8

Old 03-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default 1990 Moto 4

anybody? Can help me is good

Old 03-03-2007, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default 1990 Moto 4

well try to boost it, shouldnt hurt to boost it with a car battery they'll prob need to have the topend rebuilt or atleaste rings. I'd pull the carb off and clean it, check for compression and spark too if you can get it to turn over. If you cant find a place for a key then there wont be one.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Trailblazer
Default 1990 Moto 4

Well it looks like it needs new wires. Because under the seat the battery wires there no red i don't think. And there some wires that not like ripped off not even connect to anything. And like 3 of the wires are ripped. So i think i might get a new wire harness on Ebay. Also do i really need all those wires? And when i move the up it wont shift but when i move it down it shifts. Like it wont let me put it back in Neutral. Do you think i need to tap on the clutch plate might be rusty or something?

Old 03-04-2007, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default 1990 Moto 4

try rolling it back and forth while you try shifting, should drain the oil, it might be all water in there and everything might just be rusted solid. I'd think you'd need all the wires if the bike was made with the wires you'll need them.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer
Default 1990 Moto 4

oh ok I will try that. And i will drain the oil. But ya new wires if i get those that might not even be the problem its not worken. But it could be because 3 wires are ripped.Do you think i can repair the wires or something? Because i don't really care about the lights worken just want the starter to work to start the bike. But i will try what you said. If that does not work do you have anymore ideas? And does that usually work?

Old 03-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Trailblazer
Default 1990 Moto 4

Well i went out today. Was about to pull it home on my friends pitbike but his dam throttle cable broke. We had the string and all. but here an update on some information.

Well i got the gears worken and they work know. But the wire the black and red wire that connects to the battery. It has 2 black wires and the red wire it has like a little box thing fuse box i think and the red wire. Do the red and the other red wire need to be connect together? If so i can solder them. And also for the key is there 4 wires for the key? Because 3 wires were ripped and i think those are the key wires. But not sure. Can i connect all 3 of those wires together also? Because its still has the plug on the end and is connect to a another wire.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default 1990 Moto 4

try bump starting it. pull it behind your car with it in gear, before you do this pull the plug and while somones pulling you check if it has spark. If it does put gas in the tank (make sure the tank is clean) and spray some gas into where the air filter is and see if it'll fire. But before you start it make sure theres oil in it.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:50 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default 1990 Moto 4

Im all for fixing up old stuff, but man, it looks like you got a lotta work to do. Good luck!

Old 03-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1990 Moto 4

hey that bike loogs great, you should have seen what I got for my kid 2 years ago......
I was lucky enough to fine a 87 moto 4 80, looks identical to yours, but yours looks good...
my engine was seized solid, just a few drops of oil in it, the frame was just a basket of rust and the wireing was all messed up.

what I first did was pull the plug and give ti a good spray of liquid wrench (rust buster) or WD40. let it sit over night. I pulled the side cover and turned the flywheel by hand and it busted loose, but I had no compression so i pulled the topend off, and the rings were seized in the piston. I sprayed them good with liquid wrench and got them loose, I just put it all back together (yes original parts) since I had no idea if anything else was good. I pulled the carb and cleaned it , played around with the wireing till I got it figured out and it is still running to this day with NO NEW PARTS>>>> this is by far the best running quad I have ever owned, It runs flawlessly under any conditions. my kids love it. I also repainted the frame and have now done brakes on it. the plastics look brand new, yours look like mine did all faded , more grey then blue, if yours will run, remove the plastics and take a "NEW" razor blade and scrape the oxidation from the plastics, draw the blade towards you holding it vertical with 2 hands, so it scrapes not cuts the plastics, then you can buff it out and in about 1 or 2 hrs you will have brand new plastics. I can email before and after pics if you want.

Quick Reply: 1990 Moto 4