Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why should i buy a raptor over a trx450r?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why should i buy a raptor over a trx450r?

I will be buying a new quad next week and i have read just about everything i can get my hands on. Should i buy a raptor 700 or a 450? Most of my riding will be in the ocotillo wells area (mostly hardpack). My skill level is intermediate and i am 6'2" 220lbs. I don't want to do too many upgrades. I will do exhaust but mot much else. Any input?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

Because Yamahas rock! Seriously, the Raptor 700 looks better (IMO), they are faster, have reverse, fuel injection.........Do I need to keep going? I have to give Honda some credit, they do make reliable products. I personally would buy the 700.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

yes i agree with ^

Old 03-06-2007, 05:33 AM
Pro Rider

+1 on the raptor, and I dont even care for raptors..... Honda does make great products but a 700 wont feel like a toy to you like a 450 will.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Pro Rider

I Highly recommend pickup up the Latest issue of QUAD Magazine..

They compare the Yamaha YZF450 and the Raptor 700R SE - After reading that article, I would get the Raptor if I had to buy a sport quad..

Old 03-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider

I've ridden pretty much everything out there and I'm almost your size (6' 200). If I had one quad and I weren't so interested in jumping it would be the 700 hands down.

Old 03-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

If your not putting it on a track, get the Raptor 700
I too ride out at Ocotillo, and the Raptor is one enjoyable bike.
I've owned many Honda's and Yamaha's - Yamaha is a better bike.

Old 03-08-2007, 09:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys, you all pretty much confirmed what i thought. I appreciate your help. hope to see you at ocotillo wells.

Old 03-08-2007, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

I have an 02 raptor and am also 6'2" (working towards 220lbs). The ergos on the raptor are great for guys ours size. It is a thoroughly enjoyable quad except for the reliability aspect, at least in my case. I ride hard when I ride but might be out once a month or a little better. I have gone through a tranny, throwout bearing for the starter, replaced the entire rear frame because it cracked all over and through the tubes as well as taking my exhaust when the mounts tore out, as well as the attachment points from the rear frame to the main frame. Then two weeks ago, the rear axle bearings went out, probably have to replace the carrier, and end plates too. I am not impressed with the reliability, these are not low cost repairs. For the number of hours I have on it, this these many big failures are aggravating. I have two hondas and haven't had a single repair on either. Just my personal experience. Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Turtler
I have an 02 raptor and am also 6'2" (working towards 220lbs). The ergos on the raptor are great for guys ours size. It is a thoroughly enjoyable quad except for the reliability aspect, at least in my case. I ride hard when I ride but might be out once a month or a little better. I have gone through a tranny, throwout bearing for the starter, replaced the entire rear frame because it cracked all over and through the tubes as well as taking my exhaust when the mounts tore out, as well as the attachment points from the rear frame to the main frame. Then two weeks ago, the rear axle bearings went out, probably have to replace the carrier, and end plates too. I am not impressed with the reliability, these are not low cost repairs. For the number of hours I have on it, this these many big failures are aggravating. I have two hondas and haven't had a single repair on either. Just my personal experience. Good luck with your decision.

I think the 01 and 02 Raptors weren't the most reliable bikes, my wifes brothers both have them and had some problems, but they say its the earlier models, and they have fixed that stuff - especially the tranny.
I have had zero problems with mine.

Quick Reply: Why should i buy a raptor over a trx450r?