Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Reed spaces for banshee

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reed spaces for banshee

I have a 01 banshee with TR6 pipes and timing key. I was wondering if reed spacers are worth it. If not what other modifications would you suggest leaving the motor stock.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

What kind of riding do you do?

What results do you want?

Do you have any other mods?

If you do anything other than just drag and dunes I would strongly reccomend upgrading your suspension.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

i live in canada so we dont have dunes. Sometimes i do go to the silverlake dunes. i generally just trail ride. I just want more power to just get an edge on my buddies. we all have banshees with toomey pipes and timing keys

Old 03-14-2007, 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

suspension will give you more of an advantage than power in trails.

But for power.. Prolly bigger carbs, k&n pods, rejet. Motor work is where the shee shines.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:13 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JLsparky7
suspension will give you more of an advantage than power in trails.But for power.. Prolly bigger carbs, k&n pods, rejet. Motor work is where the shee shines.
On a relatively stock banshee the last thing you want to do is mess around with another set of carbs. Most people wimp out on the timing key and go with the +4 key. There is more to be gained with the +7 drag key. I have ran them in 2 banshees with no problems what-so-ever.....no heating issues either. Did I run mine WFO for 5+ minutes straight....no, did'nt need to....maybe thats why I had no issues. You can send the head off and have it shaved .030 and gain more as well. Majic racing done my last one for $60 or so. It's been debated to death on the air filter issue of K and N versus foam. The straight answer is K and N's let fine particles thru....go with a pro design type of foam set up and use good filter oil like Maxima Fab 1, etc and ditch the lid if you don't ride in much water. After this, I would go with some drag pipes and maybe some mild porting. BTW, those TR6 pipes are holding you back on top end. I just looked for an old dyno sheet and can't find it. THe results for non drag pipes were in favor of the Fattys.....they perform about the same down low and leave the TR6's on top end. I'll keep digging around and see if I can find that dyno sheet.
Gary

Old 03-14-2007, 12:41 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Oh yea...reed spacers or a boost bottle are a waste of money. The Delta Force reeds are dyno proven to produce a couple more horses.....but they are pricey. A set of front shocks help a ton as far as suspension goes. I had a set of earlier Raptor shocks on mine and they worked great. Shame on Yamaha for not upgrading the Banshees front shocks after all these years. More width up front helps handling in a big way as well.

Old 03-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the info. i thought reed spacers and boost bottles were a waste. i was never a fan of the v force reeds. we put them on one and the peddles chipped. I no longer have an airbox i use a foam filter.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Pro Rider

Reed spacers and boost bottles are crap, but v-force reeds are the best $$ can buy. They have the best throttle response of anything out there.