Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Yamaha's Reputation for Service?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 07:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yamaha's Reputation for Service?

I'm having some odd difficulty with my Eiger. I think it will be resolved, but it brings up my question for Yamaha.

I've had nearly 10 Yamaha machines and not one has had to go to service for a warranty repair. In fact none have ever gone back to the dealer at all. Therefore A: I really like Yamaha ATV's B: I don't know what their rep is like.

I'm in the market for another manual trans 4x4 to either replace my Bruin 250 or just add to the line-up. The '07 Big Bear 400 I looked at today and I really liked it. Much nicer than the '05 I looked at back then.

Therefore, IF (I doubt it, there hasn't been an issue yet) I have a problem. Does Yamaha pull through for warranty related repair? What is their reputation for backing up their ATV's?

Old 04-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

no problems with my bruin 350 or my wifes 250...so I am of no help...

Old 04-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: JSSuper
I'm having some odd difficulty with my Eiger. I think it will be resolved, but it brings up my question for Yamaha.

I've had nearly 10 Yamaha machines and not one has had to go to service for a warranty repair. In fact none have ever gone back to the dealer at all. Therefore A: I really like Yamaha ATV's B: I don't know what their rep is like.

I'm in the market for another manual trans 4x4 to either replace my Bruin 250 or just add to the line-up. The '07 Big Bear 400 I looked at today and I really liked it. Much nicer than the '05 I looked at back then.

Therefore, IF (I doubt it, there hasn't been an issue yet) I have a problem. Does Yamaha pull through for warranty related repair? What is their reputation for backing up their ATV's?
I guess the title of your thread should be "Yamaha's reputation for Service and Reliability"

Personally I think that Yamaha has the highest reliability of all the MFG'ers. Their initial (no dealer) quality on the machines is top notch. I bought a 1997 Yamaha snowmobile in 1998, it has many (over 5000) miles on it... and the engine still purrs. Only things replaced on it are normal wear items.

As far as your odd difficulty with Eiger, at this point you are really dealing with the Suzuki dealers quality of Service and not Suzuki itself. Though I am biased.. I think Yamaha makes such a great product and they are refined such that you don't have too many Odd difficulties..

Old 04-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Trailblazer

I agree and you are right about the titles. The issue I'm having is intermittent failure of N and R indicator lights. However. I have no experience with Yamaha service either from factory or dealer and it was only this recent thing with Suzuki that caused me to ask about Yamaha.

List of Yamaha:
1987 Moto 4 225 (Dual Range, Dual Rack)
1990 Moto 4 250 " " " " " " " " " " " " "
1992 Moto 4 350 " " " " " " " " " " " "
1990 Big Bear
1993 Timberwolf
2005 Bruin

None have been back to the dealer at all and we had many of them for several years at a time. Like I said... it speaks volumes, but I wondered about the "IF" I had an issue.

Old 04-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

The thing about warranty work is you will find it comes down to how good your dealer is more than the actual manufacturer. If you deal with a good dealer you shouldnt have any issues. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-15-2007, 09:38 AM
Trailblazer

I agree with bberck, a fair amount comes down to the dealer. When I purchased my Grizzly, the salesman went through the maint. schedule with me and told me what was really necessary and what was just to get back in dealership for service dollars. The Grizz has been bulletproof so far. I might take it in at around 60 hours to have some things checked, it depends when the time comes. I have been back in the same dealership to purchase accessories and maintenance items many times without being pressured for valve adjustments or anything like that. With the way my dealer has treated me, if I do ever need service I would trust them completely.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm a bit of a novice in the ATV world, but I have had three and none where ever to the dealer for warranty. In the snowmobile world, I know that a good dealer is paramount. I had a track issue on one sled and it was replaced. Up grades where done on fall service and other things that needed repaired, that where Yamaha's responsibility, where taken care of at no charge.

To answer your question, I believe Yamaha is 100% behind you during the warranty period after that it depends on the dealer, choose a good one.

Old 04-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

I was one of those that got burned with the tranny problems on the 2001 660 Raptor when they first came out,and no they were of NO help at all.I hope they do better now because I'm really liking the looks and most of the comments about the 700r.Never,never buy first year products.

Old 04-15-2007, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

You guys gotta check this out if you think yamaha is valid for warranty work. Its not a quad but its still yamaha...

The 1999-2002 yamaha yzfr6 (streetbike) had a 2nd gear "slippage" problem... When you where in 2nd and went WOT the bike would skip and almost feel like the clutch or tire were slipping (not just annoying but dangerous). Most dealers want around 2 grand to fix this problem. I ended up doing it myself and broke even. (got more money for my used tranny than I paid for the new one). This thread has 583 replys and 34,148 views. If yamaha were to pay dealerships 2k for each bike that had this problem they would go broke. Almost every 99-02 R6 I have seen with over 5k miles on it has this problem.

Yamaha Claims it is a "rider error" problem yet no other sportbike had this issue. It was simply an overlooking part by quality control. Heres the link... Enjoy...

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=1512