Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

green horn needs stock 700R pointers

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 02:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default green horn needs stock 700R pointers

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I took the baffle out of my stock exhaust on my brand new/bone stock '06 700 raptor. love the sound, dont notice much by way of power. A friend of mine that "knows it all" about quads says not to run it with the baffle out b/c it is fuel injected and it will mess it up. so, i put it back in. i think it is BS, but do any of you know for sure? btw, i have never wrenched on a bike in my life, and havent ridden since i had a blaster 10 yrs ago. in other words, i am a 27 yr old green horn, ridin' like a 6 yr old, and learning everything from scratch. thanks for help with this, and any pointers with mods, maintenance, care, riding techniques, etc. would be greatly appreciated. later.......

Old 05-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Pro Rider

The 700's do not have a O2 sensor so if doing any performance mods you will need to purchase a FI controller (Power Commander 111/Dobeck/etc) to add more fuel. This in since is the same as rejetting a carbed bike.

That said just removing the SA alone without doing anything else really isnt gaining much, it would probally be ok but the only way to know for sure would be to do a plug check.

Most come kinda lean from the factory so it might make it a touch to lean. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

alright. thanks. are the FI controllers programmable/RE-programmable? like, would i or could i re-adjust the air/fuel based on mods done one at a time or seperately, or do you need to buy a different controller based on the amount of mods that are in place? and with the SA, i wont be albe to fix the lean condition without the controller either, huh? thanks again.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Pro Rider

They are adjustable so you can make changes depending on your mods.

Well the dobeck and PC lll are, there are some out there like the Yoshi programmer that comes with like two maps loaded and I beleive thats all you get.

Most feel if you are going to get into motor work to go with a PC lll because it offers more adjustability,

Old 05-23-2007, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

Don't run without a spark arrestor, they perform a good function to limit the possibility of starting a wildfire. By the way, I have been stopped and checked for a spark arrestor by the forest service.

Old 05-23-2007, 02:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

so even the aftermarket slip ons and full exhaust kits have some form of a spark arrestor? there really are no straight through mufflers? i know it may be a simple question, but this is how you learn. also, it wont be worth buying an exhaust, intake/filter, or basically any performance mod if i dont have the FI control unit first - right?

if that is the case, looks like i am going with bolt on "body" mods first. it is already too much power for me right now. i need a bumper, nerf bars, and a six pack rack first! i kinda wanted a slip on for now, but guess i will wait till i "need" it!

Old 05-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider

After market exhausts have SA's but they can be removed easily. Just depends on where you ride wether you need one or not.

Yes you need a FI controller before adding mods and I wouldnt waste my money on a slip-on. Id wait and go with a full system.

Protection first isnt a bad idea. Its what I did as well.

I got

Nerfs
Skids
bumper
grab bar first

Then I added

PC lll and a pro desin UNI

Then later added a full exhaust