Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I'm screwed..Need help really bad...

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 09:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm screwed..Need help really bad...

You know those studs and nuts that hold your header pipe onto the head..well I messed things up really bad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] the threads on the head that you put the studs in are striped down to nothing on one side..and the other side the stud is stuck in the head with the threads on the stud messed up really bad in a effort to get the stud out..I know I have to get the one stud out some how??(need advice)on that..

Then I need to tap new threads into one or both sides of the head and put new bolts to hold the header on..so it does not leak..I have never done anything like this before and any help would be very welcome..What kind of tools do I need to get,I know a tap and die set(or something) but not really sure on what to get..

Thanks..

Old 06-12-2007, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have the head fixed by a engine/machine shop. Not a dealer or other repair place... you want a real, true, engine machining shop. They will be able to pull the old stud out very easy and maybe helicoil the otherside back to the stock stud thread size. Trust me on this one. Many, many people bust studs and the biggest error they make is by trying to drill the old out with some ratty hand drill.. then they run an SAE tap into it.. and now you are rolling around a bolt that might not even be stright. This kind of thing happens alot. If you think you are upset, think about busting 4 out of 6 exhaust bolts on a V8 where all you really wanted to do was install a set of headers. Have the head fixed up and use anti-seize when you install the new studs. Make sure you see if the shop can fix it so you can use the stock metric studs.

Old 06-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yamaha bolts/studs suck plain and simple!!!! i broke on of mine off and i barely tightened it down. so i drilled it out and welded a larger stud in there and it worked great.