Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

99 wolverine 350 i need more speed, how?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 01:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 wolverine 350 i need more speed, how?

i just picked up a completly stock low hours 99 wolverine 350 4x4 i wanted it for a few reasons, 4x4 sporty semi auto (don't like full auto) but after riding it its too slow the reason i say this is i just sold my honda atc 350x i would like to get that kind of speed out of the wolverine. is it possible ? the only mod i know for sure i'm getting is the warn 424 after that what is the best place to start exhaust? jet kit?
any help is appreciated

Old 07-20-2007, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

Not much you can do to get more top speed out of the Wolverine. Excellent machine, and there is mods you can do for more power-acceleration. The motor will only turn so fast, and since its a shaft drive 4x4, gearing changes are impossible, or very expensive. Bigger tires will get you a very small increase in top speed. Big Bear motor is basically the same, just stroked.
Start with a K&N air filter, Exhaust, and proper re-jetting.
Jet kit is just a few different main jets and a sticker that you pay too much for - just buy a few bigger Mikuni jets (from your local stealer) and test 'em out. Raise the needle 1 notch for a bit better response. Lots of info online about dialing in your jetting.
You could bore it out a fare bit too.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:09 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 03 the warn 424 helps a little,I put a k&n filter in HMF pipe,helps more on the lower end though..Don't think getting more top end with out really costly motor changes is possible though..I'm not a speed demon,I never get a chance to run all out on the trails I ride,But with the 424 its pretty fun and sporty spinning the rear around..No matter what you do those racers will blow past you though..Until you pass them in the mud bog when they are stuck and you are plowing through it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Warn 424 is a must mod..bout 225 bucks
http://cgi.ebay.com/eb...ors.....mdZViewItem

</a>

HMF pipes are great on Wolverines(dont break the bank)Ebay has a nice deal,comes with the main jet they recommend..Great deal,I bought mine through them...

</a>

If you decide to get a K&N filter DONT
cut up your air box,plus if you ride in dusty conditions get a outer wears pre filter,I got mine at Rockey Mountain ATV..I bought my K&N here ..

</a>

I got lucky..I think,after doing those mods,my bike was automatically jetted to perfection..Ohh and I also put a torque stuffer in the head pipe for low end boost,here is a link..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...78QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have 25in Mud-Lites on it,not sure of top speed..But what i do know at all out,if I turn just a bit I'm dead..Plus I have lots of steal plates and protection on mine and a heavy winch,but even with all of that,I can still get the front end up,in first in 4x2 mode[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ohh and BTW a set of skid plates are worth their weight in gold..

Old 07-21-2007, 09:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know what you mean about them being slow I had a couple 350x's back in the day they where fun bikes. The problem with the the wolvy is its only a 2 valve motor not great for making power. The wolvy has basicly the same motor as a warrior and speed wise they will get smoked badly by a 350x, and a wolvy is auto with more weight. A pipe and filter/jetkit will only get you maybe 2-4 horsepower, some people might think its more because of the noise. Unless you want to dump a lot of money into the motor like bigbore,stroker and evrything like that I would save my money and get something with some more ***** to start with. Thats what I am going to do.

Old 07-21-2007, 09:34 PM
Range Rover

Slip on exhaust system, high flow air filter then run modded air box, Megacycle 252x-2 cam or Web .390" grind number 88, JE 10.5:1 high compression piston or Wiseco 10.2:1. This should get about 35 to 45 percent more power.