Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolverine 450 hits 60mph.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wolverine 450 hits 60mph.

A few months back I decided to do a rebuild of my wolverine 450 after I wrecked it (full write-up and pics to come shortly). Performance wise, I added a hmf pipe, dynojet kit, and a k&n filter. I dont know what the deal was, but after the mods I couldn't get the machine to do more than 46mph. I thought it was a fuel problem because even when you lifted the back of the quad up, it would start spitting and sputtering right at 46mph. The shop had it for a long time trying to figure it out, but no luck. Then we thought it was a problem with the cvt, maybe it lost the grease and the belt wasn't coming up all the way and the quad was hitting the rev limiter like normal, but the rear wheels would only get up to 46 because the trans wasn't keeping up. Who knows.

Well, one of the guys at the shop mentioned a company that did some machine work on a rhino's clutch for them and they gained quite a bit of top end from it. I was all for it if it got me back up to stock speed, or a little faster. Well, I got a call yesterday and they told me they got my clutch back from them, and it was installed and ready to go. They didn't have much room to test it out around their shop, but they said they hit 54 mph with no problem.

Today I got it home and tested it myself.....and to say the least, I'm happy! 57mph with my big *** on it (250lbs), and 60 with the back end lifted up. I just took it down my road and hit 57, I'm sure I will get more out of it on the trails or a field and when I loose some weight...lol. That's quite an improvement over the 46mph I was hitting before.

I don't know exactly what they did to the clutch assembly, but the tech mentioned that they removed some material that let the belt come up a little higher so it would spin the rear wheels faster without making the engine rev anymore and possibly doing any damage. I'm going to stop in there tomorrow and get the companies information and see exactly what was done.

Honestly, I'm happy as heck right now. I had a sick feeling in my stomach after doing the pipe, filter, and jets and loosing 7mph off the top end. After many hours, the shop couldn't figure out what was going on....but the new work did the trick.

I'm not sure if I lost any bottom end power after this mod, so I'm going to race my buddy with his stock 06 wolverine 450 this weekend. He is roughly the same size, and we raced before and the quads were dead even. Hopefully now I will be able to get him by a bit (that's until he jumps on his grizzly 700). This should be good for now, I'm thinking about doing one of the big bore kits....but that wont be until next year after I hit the dunes a few times with the current setup.

just thought I would share,

Kyle

Old 10-24-2007, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

That is great news man, How much did it cost for the modification?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

$230, plus one hour labor for the shop to pull it apart, ship it out and then re-install it.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider

Ouch, were did they send it off to?

Old 10-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, its almost double what they originally quoted me, but I told them to go ahead and do it when they first told me about it. I was under the impression it would only be about $120, so $230 was a bit of a surprise....but who cares, as long as it works Im happy. I would have just blown the money on something else I didnt need.

The company is called Hauck performance. www.hauckperformance.com is their website.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

MIwolvy do you have the EPI clutch installed also?

Old 10-25-2007, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MIwolvy I cant understand why your quad would drop to 46 mph (unless you did the EPI clutch kit like me, Thats when I added the pipe filter and jet kit to get my top speed back) But I would definetly be interested in talking to Hawk racing about having my clutch done for some more top speed. If you can get their info I would definetly be appreciative.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

Nope, no clutch kit. just pipe, filter, and jet kit. I dont know what was going on with it. They were starting to think I did something to the rev box or whatever you call it when I powerwashed the machine all down, they were going to swap that out if the clutch work didnt do it. I still may swap mine with my buddies and see if there is a problem with it.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

sounds good keep us posted, and let us know if you change cdis if that makes a difference as well.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

sounds good keep us posted, and let us know if you change cdis if that makes a difference as well.

Quick Reply: wolverine 450 hits 60mph.