Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior Help

Hey guys and gals,

I am pretty new to the ATV world. My fiances Uncle is letting me use(and I would like to buy) his Warrior 350. My buddy has been riding for a long time and owns a Motorcycle shop, so it works out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

As we inspect it closer we see the whole rear end is wobbly not just the rims. Do I need a new axle, bearing, fill blank____. Moves about a 1/2" to an 1".

The next thing is the oil drain plug. We think hurcules himself put it on b/c it will not come off. Air gun and all for a drain plug. Most all the bolts are like this.

Next is when I am riding the Warrior and let off say top of fourth ,well any gear at that, and it shakes like an earthquake just below me. Maybe 7.0 Magnitude [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Checked all the front eng bolts and they are on nicely. Fill blank______.

Last major thing is the Clutch. Shifts well. Wont go into N easy. When in 3rd and I hit it it slips. Fourth the same thing. Almost sounds like it downshifts instead... We are thinking of just changing out the clutch.

Now sorry for the long post Just wanted to say HI. I love the ATV thing. Got me hooked. We have a blast everytime even if its the same thing. I would just like to get the quad fixed and then start to add some thing to it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Make it quicker to hang a little bit with my buddies 400's and 450's(with some juice).

Thanks in advance for your replies [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Chris

Old 11-05-2007, 11:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior Help

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: NA&CH

As we inspect it closer we see the whole rear end is wobbly not just the rims. Do I need a new axle, bearing, fill blank____. Moves about a 1/2" to an 1".</end quote></div>

It is likely a combination of things. First off, the axle bearings that are in the axle carrier. You can replace them for about $60 give or take. There is a good chance that the swingarm bearings are shot too. This can be a pain sometimes because the pivot bolt could be siezed inside the swingarm and you'll have to cut it to get it out.

The next thing is the oil drain plug. We think hurcules himself put it on b/c it will not come off. Air gun and all for a drain plug. Most all the bolts are like this. </end quote></div>

Well, you have to get it off somehow. I stripped mine out once just tightening it, so if they used an air gun, I'm surprised it didn't strip.

Next is when I am riding the Warrior and let off say top of fourth ,well any gear at that, and it shakes like an earthquake just below me. Maybe 7.0 Magnitude [img][/img] Checked all the front eng bolts and they are on nicely. Fill blank______.</end quote></div>

Not sure what would cause that.

Last major thing is the Clutch. Shifts well. Wont go into N easy. When in 3rd and I hit it it slips. Fourth the same thing. Almost sounds like it downshifts instead... We are thinking of just changing out the clutch.</end quote></div>

Sounds like the clutch is shot.

I would just like to get the quad fixed and then start to add some thing to it [img][/img] Make it quicker to hang a little bit with my buddies 400's and 450's(with some juice).</end quote></div>

You'll never hang with a 400 or 450 unless you put a big-bore/stroker kit on it.

Seems to me like you're planning to buy yourself a basketcase. I'd avoid it, regardless if it's your uncle's or not. What year of machine is this???

Old 11-05-2007, 11:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior Help

Thanks for the reply 54 [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I know I won't be able to hang with them just for fun. Now if I can get it cheap I plan on doing what is needed for a fun "quick" machine.

I will be looking into the rear end which is my ain concern. Would it be wasier to buy a new rear swing? Maybe one with a little entension? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I will find out how much he wants and then see if its worth it. I am just trying to put together a price for repairing it. SO he can take that off the top.

Thanks again.

Chris

O and on the year. Your guess is as good as mine. Is there a way to find out what year? I beleive it is post 2000.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior Help

if it's a piece off crap . don't buy it..

Old 11-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior Help

Well thanks for the advise [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] I am just trying to figure out what is wrong and how much to fix the "crap"

Thanks for the bump though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Chris

Old 11-05-2007, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior Help

if it was 50 bucks only..ok..

Old 11-05-2007, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior Help

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: STRAIGHTUPDAHILL

if it was 50 bucks only..ok..</end quote></div>

Hey Straight, I am sure you mean no harm but I am looking for help with the problems. So please use someone elses thread to "crap" on [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

But again thanks for the bump to the top.

Chris

Old 11-05-2007, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Default Warrior Help

You can find out the year by finding the VIN and counting over 10 numbers. That will be the last number in the year. You will need a new clutch, just go ahead and do it and save alot of headache for yourself. What type of terrain are you on when you get the shake? Alot of quads will slip around on dirt and gravel because the rear wheels slow down quicker than the machine if that makes sense. Even though the wheels are turning, you are sliding somewhat. As for the rear end, while I had it apart, I would go ahead and put new bearings in it, everywhere.
As for the drainplug. I cannot tell you. It has to come out, try using a HEAVY socket wrench, and sliding a pipe over it for leverage. PUSH IT VERY SLOWLY. Most likely, it is overtightened, and while it may not be stripped you can bet that there is some compression of the threads.

The biggest thing is this. Compare the cost of the unit for you to purchase, plus the parts, and the labor if you are not going to do it yourself. Then, book the machine and see what you can get one without all the problems for. Then make a decision, stick to it, and ride the hell out of it when you are done... Oh, FWIW, by comparison, the frame on the Warrior is weaker than some other Yamahas. Check it for cracks in weld points, that could cause a shake, and movement in the rearend. Be careful jumping it, especially if you are a larger person.

Old 11-06-2007, 10:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Warrior Help

Thanks a lot biskit really [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

When I get the shake it is in pavement. My buddy has 7 acres and a long driveway for fun. It is pretty bad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Thats what I plan on doing with the quad. Getting a list checking it twice and get a cost. I am hoping it shouldn't be to much of a PITA.

Now if this doesn't go through and I should just get a new bike what do you guy recommend? I am a beg. I learn quick and I am 5'10 155. I want something quick and trail fun and sometimes mud fun(not much)

Thanks again everyone

Chris

Old 11-06-2007, 10:38 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default Warrior Help

Some common things to check for are: rear axle bearings (Warriors eat these on a regular basis), swingarm bearings, broken UPPER engine mounts. The axle bearings usually need replacing once a year if you ride often. The shaking could possibly be coming from the loose rear end. If your clutch is slipping, you can just replace the clutch plates and springs for about $100 if you do the work yourself. It's fairly common for the clutches to wear out after 2-3 years under normal use. Other things to check for are worn out front wheel bearings, a-arm bushings, steering tie rod ends, and front spindle ball joints. The easiest way I know how to check everything is to turn the fuel off and stand the bike up on it's wheelie bar and you can rock it back and forth to check to see if there is any play in the swingarm and axle. And with the front end off the ground you can check for any play in all the ball joints. Most people don't even know their front end is worn out and they keep riding the heck out of it, but riding with worn out bushings and bearings will beat you to death out on the trail.

Quick Reply: Warrior Help