Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

how deep of water is too deep

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 10:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how deep of water is too deep

I have a 06 bruin on 26's and a 2" lift
How deep of water does it take to kill this thing? I havent yet got in water more tan 1' deep yet. I want to try to cross a 3-4 foot pond. is the belt system totaly sealed? what about crank vent and the carb intake??

Im really wanting to try it!

Old 11-15-2007, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

If you keep your air box sucking in air instead of water and you dont stall and let water go up your exaust pipe anything else isnt a real big deal. now preferably, the front and rear diferentials have vent hoses (on my wolverine they vent into the airbox or right in front of it) find out where yours are and route them higher if they arent cause you will get water in your diff oil if they go under which can always just be changed for fresh oil but better to just not get it in there. Dont know about belt drive on your bike but I have a polaris trailboss 325 i got when I was younger and we now use for yard chores etc etc. theres a river from 6 inches to 2 ft deep and in the summer me and my friends would just ride up and down the river all afternoon and i never had a wet belt issue. I think they should be sealed. My friend on the other hand had a 94 polaris and after that many years passing it was no longer sealed all the way (could be time could have been damaged i dont know) but even when his belt would get wet all it does is slip. get it out of the water and let it dry off, run the engine to evaporate, drive around easy the belt will dry out if it gets wet the worst thing that can happen is you get stuck cause your wheels arent spinning but if your hitting stuff that hardcore you should have a backup plan anyhow. I could never afford a power winch but if im going to be mudding I always carry a 30ft nylon tow strap and a 13 dollar hand held come-along. gets the job done...

i dont own your exact quad unless somebody whith the bike gives you the AOK just follow your vent lines and if they dont go into the airbox or to the same height on your bike then extend them if you want to hit water deeper than they currently are

Old 11-15-2007, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

ctatv, thanks. also thats a kick *** moto u have there. im sporting a wr450 sm street legal. : )

Old 11-16-2007, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if your ***** are getteing wet you better start worrying [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2007, 02:34 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: doctor_boost

ctatv, thanks. also thats a kick *** moto u have there. im sporting a wr450 sm street legal. : )</end quote></div>

Thanks man mine's street legal and registered as well its a CR500

Old 11-16-2007, 06:53 AM
Pro Rider

on the bruin if it is like the new wolverine and everything else yamaha has, it will have vent tubes for the front and back of the belt housing. I can still make it through 2-3 foot deep water as long as I keep a wake going in front of me.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

Is there any way of manking the vents higher?
are they like a tube or a hughe vent?

if you got thoes high is the rest of the housing seled?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider

mine is a tube that runs on the front right up to where the handle bars is. The back vent is right under the taillight and is pretty easy to see.
As far as the rest of the housing, your drain plug has a rubber seal and there is a rubber seal all the way around the plastic case to keep water out.

Old 11-16-2007, 10:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Looks like ill be doin some pvcn

Old 11-16-2007, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

If it starts to bog down... yup... you've gone in too deep. Pushin' envelope is pretty darn fun though eh?!

Quick Reply: how deep of water is too deep