Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

UNI vs. K&N air filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UNI vs. K&N air filter

Noticing a big difference in prices of the two air filters. I've always had good luck with K&N products, but was wondering if anyone preferred the UNI?
Thanks!

Old 12-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

I think you'll find most prefer UNI. Personally I do not like K&N. The paper style lets more dust and crap through. Something I always wondered was why K&N recommends pre-filters? Why do I need a filter for my filter?

UNI foam filters are suppose to be good.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

K&N flows a bit better and supposedly performs better with sand. A foam filter is going to be better in wet/muddy or dusty conditions so that is what I run.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

having had both on for a dyno run the K&N does get more power ,but when ya hold the K&N up to a light and see all then holes its not some thing you'd want on an extremely dusty ride . the only problem i have with UNI is there rather small, more surface area would be better , get the biggest one ya can.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would run the K&N for most stuff but if I was going to the dunes I would get a UNI filter

Old 12-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Koopa

I think you'll find most prefer UNI. Personally I do not like K&N. The paper style lets more dust and crap through. Something I always wondered was why K&N recommends pre-filters? Why do I need a filter for my filter?

UNI foam filters are suppose to be good.</end quote></div>
K&N isn't paper, it's a cotton gauze. The cheap filters found in most cars are paper filters. If you are going to publicly express your dislike for something you might want to know what it is to begin with.

An outerwear is a good thing to have regardless of whether you are using foam or gauze. And many foam filters are multi-stage, meaning that the filter has a filter already but it's built in.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Koopa

UNI foam filters are suppose to be good.</end quote></div>

The pre-filters stops water and smaller particals like sand. In cenrtain riding conditions a lot of people don't use the pre-filter without any negative results. The filter, pre-filter combo with let more air in your engine than a foam filter (UNI) and the reason why they are more expensive. It's a case of you get what you pay for.

Old 12-30-2007, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: maddog56

... If you are going to publicly express your dislike for something you might want to know what it is to begin with.
</end quote></div>

Holy crap, don't take it personal man. I said "Personally" and that means it's my "personal" opinion in which I am entitled.

I live in the dust hills in Ok, I have ran K&N and actually I currently am on my yfz until I need to replace it. Even with the extra filter I have taken it off many times and found fine dust inside on my intake tube. That should not happen with a filter that cost that much cash.

So, as I said it is a PERSONAL preference of MINE to run a foam filter. I did not know it was a cotton weave, thanks for clearing that up.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

i run k&n with no problems at all .......the gauze is a lot easier to clean in my opinion...

Old 01-05-2008, 03:08 AM
Pro Rider

I've used K&N filters for years and years with no ill effects.

I only ride in the dunes, and I always use a pre-filter.

No complaints here.

Quick Reply: UNI vs. K&N air filter