Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Toy: Raptor 350 or YFZ 450?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 01:04 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Toy: Raptor 350 or YFZ 450?

Scooter, thanks a lot for that advice! That, along with Recon99 and several others that have responded, was exactly what I needed.

I just don't think that I would need something like a 700 with it being as heavy as it is and when I am coming up from a 250. I have heard that the YFZ 450 and the 700 push close to the same power. With that so, the differences come down to maintenance, having reverse (optional), overall availability, size, handling, options, and, of course, power.

I think that I did make a mistake and just jump onto a quad without thinking about which one was the best for me, but that was a rookie mistake. I never had much experience on ATVs before then.

And Scooter, do you know anything about YFZ 450s running hot under lower RPMs/lower speeds? I do ride out on dirt roads and out in the country, so, is the 450 the most prudent suggestion given the circumstances?

I appreciate everyone's responses; thank you all!

If anyone has anything to add, feel free....just as long as it isn't off-topic.

And if anyone has a newer YFZ 450, preferably an SE, that would consider a trade for a babied and well-taken care of 2008 Raptor 250 SE that doesn't live too far, leave a reply, PM me, or e-mail me at Thrasher0285@aol.com.

Thanks half a million, guys!

Old 02-25-2008, 01:15 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

I don't know where you are getting the idea the 700 is heavy. It is only around 30 or 40 pounds heavier than the 450, but is a much better trail machine. The 700 has more manageable power, persay, than the 450. It is there for you at all ranges, whether you wanna trail ride slow and goose it here and there, or just flat out fly, whereas with the 450 you are severely limited in slower rides, not to mention the stiff suspension.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:10 AM
Trailblazer

Beefy, I mentioned a few times in my earlier posts, and Recon99 mentioned it as well, I'm a small guy.

I mean, I'm no kid, but I'm not line-backer size. I'm 5'7-8" and 150 lbs. I currently ride a Raptor 250. Dry weight is only 313 lbs. That to a 700 whose dry weight is almost 400 lbs, there's quite a huge jump. Maybe, someone with more experience with quads or someone that isn't the kind of adrenaline junkie that I am might be a little more comfortable with that move up, but not me.

Reiterating, momentum-wise, a 700 going almost 40 m/h into a burm and then trying to slow down might get tied up in complications. A YFZ 450 is, from what I have heard, a little more manageable on a track. I don't have that much experience on quads to know how bad some suspensions are, but I know that giving up reverse on a quad might have to be a small sacrifice, right?

I definitely don't want to get myself into another pickle like I am in now. I want a new quad that I won't outgrow, if not for several years.

I'm sure that people might reply on here about some 12 year old that can ride a 700 all day long, and, no offense guys that have mentioned others that can do that, but I don't have that experience yet. You really need to know what you are doing when you ride something like that, don't you agree?

I've been putting my quad on the track for about a month now. That's not long but I've gotten to where I can do every double on the track, race, and fly down the whole thing.

I just know that I would get killed on a 700 with the way that I ride and my lack of seat time.

The suspension on a YFZ 450 can be changed, right? And if I need more power, it has the options, right? But would it make a good replacement for the 700? I know that they are two completely different quads, but could it be substituted under my situation?

I just need some input on people that have ridden, and preferably own a YFZ 450 and have them let me know about certain important things. Especially on riding slow and trail riding.

I now know, thanks to Recon99 and a couple others, that a 700 was built for trailing and for the track and that it has lower maintenance than a YFZ 450, and that the suspension is way better. But my question now is can the YFZ 450 do the same without tearing it up or putting so many parts on it, it's virtually not the same machine anymore?

Old 02-25-2008, 02:10 AM
Range Rover

Way to many threads for me to read them all but let me throw in my 2 cents, I have had a lot of different quads ( I have a Small ATV shop) and I fell in love with the Raptors the first time I rode one and have been buying new ones every year or 2 ever since. I currently have the '07 700 SE and I think you'll like it for trail ridding a lot better than the 450 wich is more for the track. As far as the old 660's go thay were kinda top heavy (I found myself on my side from time to time) so I wouldn't get anything older than '06. I put 4,000 miles on the '06 I had and only found myself on my side once (unlike the 660's once every 2 weeks) I have allmost 3,000 miles on my '07 and not one crash[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] (and yes I ride alot, 100 miles on most weekends but only 40 today,too cold[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img])

Old 02-25-2008, 03:01 AM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

If there was a quad of the two you would be more likely to end up hurting yourself on it would the the 450. Simply because its more of a racer's quad. You don't have to be heavy to throw a quad around, its all about your technique. Do some searching online and brush up on your cornering skills and get the 700. I know plenty of small guys who ride bikes that weigh similar or more than the 700. I know a kid who weighs maybe 130 soaking wet and he rides a Polaris Predator 500 and has no problems maneuvering it.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: beefy46172

If there was a quad of the two you would be more likely to end up hurting yourself on it would the the 450. Simply because its more of a racer's quad. You don't have to be heavy to throw a quad around, its all about your technique. Do some searching online and brush up on your cornering skills and get the 700. I know plenty of small guys who ride bikes that weigh similar or more than the 700. I know a kid who weighs maybe 130 soaking wet and he rides a Polaris Predator 500 and has no problems maneuvering it.</end quote></div>

Well said, it's all about technique. And there's really nothing about the 450 that would make them any safer to ride. If anything you need more experience to ride one safely. So I wouldn't use that as a basis for your decision making.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, so the 700 is just that great of a machine?

LMAO, I've strongly considered a YFZ 450 and everytime that I mention it, I get pointed toward the 700.

I guess that the choice has been made. Thanks, and I do greatly appreciate it.

Does anybody travel with their quad? If so, if anyone goes to Alabama and wants a Raptor to hit the trail with, I wouldn't mind taking you to my stomping ground.

When, and if, I ever do get a 700 I will post pictures and let you guys know about how I enjoy it.

Ride hard and stay safe. I'm fixing to go ride....

Old 02-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I really wouldn't make any kind of solid decision since you still could go with either machine. Take your time with your decision and test ride them both if at all possible.

They're both great machines, it's just that the 700 is more well-rounded. It doesn't shine as well in one particular area like the 450's do, that's racing, but it does just about everything else better. If it was my decision I still wouldn't rule out either one.

Plus, you've only been riding for a month now, I don't think that's near enough time to decide what kind of riding you like best. Personally I get tired of riding around the same circle on a track after a couple hours, and after that I don't really feel like going back for a couple months at least. If you get into some good trail riding you may never go back to mx, there are a couple places around here that have thousands upon thousands of ridable acres, so you can ride for days and never hit the same trail twice. That's the kind of riding I like best, and although I don't know what kind of riding you have in your area, there's good trail riding all over the place.

Check out www.atvpathfinder.com if you want to see what's close to you. You may be surprised how much is out there.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BamaSlamma

Does anybody know of a good website that you can advertise, sell, buy, and look at ATVs close to your area?</end quote></div>

Raptorforum.com

All Raptors and theres a for sale section for you to sell your 250 and buy a 700 or a 450 or something.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:56 AM
Trailblazer

Haha, thanks kyle. I checked out Raptorforums.com and they mentioned DP (Durhamtown Plantation) on there. That place is amazing looking! I have to go!

Think a 250 could make it out there for those who have been?

Quick Reply: New Toy: Raptor 350 or YFZ 450?