Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What protection equipment do you ride with??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 08:03 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What protection equipment do you ride with??

can i tint my goggles??

Old 05-19-2008, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

I ride with a full face helmet, googles, gloves, jeans, over the ankle steel toe boots and t-shirt. I will be getting a chest protector next. ran into a tree the other day (was going maybe 5 mph), it only hit at the tire but stopped me cold and I hit the handlebars with my chest. nice bruise for a while.
I've seen guys on the trails on dirtbikes with only shorts and riding boots on. only thing I can think of then is "what a dumbass".

Old 05-19-2008, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: richard212

can i tint my goggles??</end quote></div>

Black spay paint works well...Trust me [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

depends on the goggles you have,most of them sell tinted lenses

Old 05-19-2008, 10:07 PM
Range Rover

y hell naw i aint paintn my goggles u paint urs!!

Old 05-20-2008, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

I wear a helmet, boots, jeans, t shirt and my mom prays for me. I've thought about a chest protector but am suspicious of weather it would really help. I weigh 250 with all that stuff on and have come off the quad pretty good before and not broke anything. That being the case if I come off hard enough to cause a chest injury I wonder if a plastic protector is gonna hold up to that hard of an impact or just bust and introduce sharp edges to the crash. In other words allthough Im sure it will save me from a few bruises is it going to be any good in a bad wreck when it matters?

Old 05-20-2008, 07:49 PM
Range Rover

they come in handy when u got a quad if front of u with alot of torque and u are riding on rocks and he likes to take off alot!!! that pisses me off!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TLC

Helmet

"Bubble wrap" for the beer.</end quote></div>

lol,lol,lol,lol

Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never wear anything but boots and that's only because I squeezed my foot between the bike and the side wall of a wash out one time. I also let my daughter and son ride without any protection. (what a dumbass your thinking?) Read on.

My thinking has always been the speed, where I ride it's 90% heavy woods trails and mud holes. The fastest I ever get is maybe 15-20 mph but most of the time I'm doing 5-10. Even after my son plowed my grizz into a pine tree and all but totaled it I didn't change my ways, I guess mostly because he didn't get hurt there by positively reinforcing my poor or at risk behaviors.

My son bought a used big bear 400 because he was no longer welcome on my bike and I rebuilt the carb for him last Saturday. I asked him to follow me into the woods in my bike (I know) while I was adjusting on the carb. We got to a short open spot on the trail and I ran the big bear up through a couple gears and made a U-turn. He was standing next to the bike with a funny look on his face. I asked what happened and he said "I fell off" I said what do you mean you fell off. He said he was just riding along and the bike pitched up on two wheels and through him off. I looked back and spotted a huge Texas size fire ant mound covered in grass. I asked him if he was ok and he said yes and we rode on for about 20 min and then went home.

About 45 min after the accident he started walking around the house acting weird, disoriented, and asking what happened. He did not remember riding, mowing the yard before riding, that he attended his sister's softball game that morning, hell he didn't even remember that he had bought a bike 3 days prior. His short term memory was reduced to about 2 to 5 min, by the time I finished explaining what happened he would start all over with the same line of questions.

Needless to say I spent the rest of last weekend at the Texas Children's Medical center he has a category 2 concussion the good news is he will be alright they said he had no bleeding or swelling of the brain and his memory will return (it has).

Well in 4 to 6 weeks when he is cleared for activity we will be riding again but you can bet everybody in my family will be geared up from head to toe. If you are still riding without protection or worse letting you kids ride PLEASE PLEASE don't wait until something happens to change your mind. I got lucky twice you may not be so lucky. Think about the feeling I had in my stomach thinking he could be brain damaged for the rest of his life, think about how you would feel if you put your child in a situation and the result was the loss if their life. Don't have kids? Well picture you wife, or mother sitting in the hospital being told you will be a vegetable for the rest of your life. Please just think about it I had plenty of time to think while I was in the hospital hoping my son would be alright.

The following users liked this post:
Rich1028 (04-29-2023)
Old 05-20-2008, 09:19 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

THERE IS <u>NO</u> EXCUSE NOT TO WEAR ALL THE PROTECTION THAT YOU CAN GET!!!!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:43 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Instead of listing it all. I wear everything you can think of except a neck brace.

Dress for the crash, not the ride.....

The following users liked this post:
Rich1028 (04-29-2023)

Quick Reply: What protection equipment do you ride with??