Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Kodiak Snorkel kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kodiak Snorkel kit

Anyone now a good website were I could order a compleat snorkel kif for my 2005 Kodiak?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

Make it yourself. It has to be one of the simplest mods to do. Would take less than an hour.

I can give you directions if you would like.

This one is "homemade", costed around $15 and gets lots of compliments due to it's clean and professional look.
Name:  100_1146.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  109.5 KB

Old 04-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Trailblazer

You only have one snorkel, which one did you do?

Old 04-05-2008, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

i have an 2008 Grizzly can u tell me how to make a snorkel kit. I just dont want to spend all that money if i dont have to.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pagerboy

You only have one snorkel, which one did you do?</end quote></div>

That's the intake for the ultramatic trans. I've had the quad in water up to the headlights and never had a engine air intake problem.

Besides if your trying to go through water that's higher than the factory carb intake, then you probably should consider a boat.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

The belt drive is what you need to keep water out of.

Your basically looking at ABS 2" glue on x female thread coupler, a 2" male thread x 2" glue on adaptor, a piece of 2" pipe, 2 of 2" elbows (one street and one std.), ABS cement, polyurethane adhesive, teflon tape and a hole saw for the shroud. The reason for the threaded coupling and adaptor is to allow removal if necessary. The polyurethane adhesive is to bond the ABS to the existing (polypropylene or polyethylene?) factory duct extension.

Name:  100_0859.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  73.0 KB

Old 04-05-2008, 10:59 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: kevinc

i have an 2008 Grizzly can u tell me how to make a snorkel kit. I just dont want to spend all that money if i dont have to.</end quote></div>

Same for '08 Grizz 450. I don't know if it's the same for a 660 or 700.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:00 PM
Pro Rider

Head

I wound up going with your design - the problem is ... if you Glue a PVC fitting onto the factory location - you CANNOT remove your front fender! Doh!

So I went with a 2" compressed rubber coupling which has a metal band and two hose clamps top and bottom. That way when you need to remove the fender for whatever reason... you simply loosen up the clamp - remove snorkle [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I would take pictures.. but quad is in the shop getting the Rear diff seal replaced under warranty...

Old 04-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

That does look fairly easy, I havn't had my Kodiak long. I have seen some wheelers with a snorkle on the rear to. Is there a vent in the rear to or does the Kodiak have only one trenny vent in the front?

Old 04-05-2008, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CraZySteve

Head

I wound up going with your design - the problem is ... if you Glue a PVC fitting onto the factory location - you CANNOT remove your front fender! Doh!

So I went with a 2" compressed rubber coupling which has a metal band and two hose clamps top and bottom. That way when you need to remove the fender for whatever reason... you simply loosen up the clamp - remove snorkle [IMG][/IMG] I would take pictures.. but quad is in the shop getting the Rear diff seal replaced under warranty...</end quote></div>

Actually that's the reason for the threaded coupling and adaptor, to allow removal of the front cover, should the need arise. No you can't take the snorkel out of the cover but you can unscrew the snorkel from the quad and take the snorkel and cover off as an assembly.

Your rubber coupling idea is very good too and I originally considered it but I didn't want the snorkel to flex around too much so I made a more rigid connection that was still removable.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Beanis

That does look fairly easy, I havn't had my Kodiak long. I have seen some wheelers with a snorkle on the rear to. Is there a vent in the rear to or does the Kodiak have only one trenny vent in the front?</end quote></div>

The vent in the rear is the air outlet from the ultramatic trans. It's tucked high behind the rear seat and since air is moving out of this vent (as long as the engine is running) and you are usually going forward, snorkeling this vent is less important than the front intake. The front intake could take in water if you drove fast into water and it came over the front, and no one likes to have their tranny start slipping when their in a dirty gooey swamp.

I been in deep enough water where the exhaust was burbling under the water and this is as high if not higher than the air outlet.

Now granted of course the engine needs to remains running or else not only can it go into the ultramatic air outlet but also the engine and could "hydro lock" it.

Die hards will sometimes snorkel everything including the exhaust but like I said before, "it's not a boat"[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I've been in even deeper water than this and never had a drop of water in the trans. with only the front snorkel. Things in my cargo seat were getting wet with water coming through the mounting points.

Quick Reply: Kodiak Snorkel kit