Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Does motor work help out alittle or alot?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does motor work help out alittle or alot?

OK,
there are a few things that i have done to my raptor and really 2 me i dont see that much of a change from now to when i bought it. There is a little gain in everything but not much, i drag race a lot with mostly the locals and few tournys. But i raced last weekend with a few and everyones got them 450's. Well one of them i raced n particular has some kinda air filter, its not k@n though, a pipe and header, and jetted. Well he blew my doors off. maybe 2 lenths. and we're racing about 250 feet. We'll I've got DMC dual pipes and headers, k@n air filter, moflow air box lid, tfi controller, port and polished, stage 2 web cam, high compression piston, steel valves, a trinity clutch system and a +1 tooth on front spocket. What is goin on here. Could it be my settings on the tfi. Back when i was stock i could pull out n front of some 450 if i got a good start, but mostly they would win. Then when i got everything but the motor work i done really good. Its like the motor work never helped me none. What could it be.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!
Default How much of a difference is there when getting n 2 the motor.

I take it you have a Raptor 700? First of all, in my experiences DMC pipes seem to add nothing to power. Also, who did the port work? A bad port job could hurt you. And what kind of piston did you install?

Old 04-13-2008, 06:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default How much of a difference is there when getting n 2 the motor.

Yeah its a 700. Trinity done the porting, it was an exchange porgram thing, they take yours and exchange it for one thats been ported. And as for the pipes the guy that put them on has also done a lot of my friends raptors 2 and he said they made a bigger difference than the fmf and yoshimaru or how ever u spell that pipes did for the other ones. idk

Old 04-14-2008, 02:23 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might need to do a compression test to make sure there's not a problem on the inside.
Even with a new motor,if the performance just isn't there this might have something to do with it.
Also alot depends on where you're racing.The entire set-up makes the difference.Not just a ton of power.
Gearing,tires,etc....
If it's at a track,look at the guy's quads that are normally winning.What type of tires,etc...?
Some might even try and help you out with suggestions if you just ask.Not everyone will though.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider

i whould highly recomend getting a power commander 3 efi controler. alot easyer to get dialed in.

i think you should be getting close to 60 hp out of that thing whch should be toasting that 450r

Old 04-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider
I ride, because football, basketball, and baseball only uses one ball!

We had a guy around here that sells DMC pipes and he swore by them. I think he just made a ton of money off of them. He suckered me into getting one for my Warrior one time. It didn't add any noticeable power and it sounded horrible. I also had a Honda 450R that came with a DMC and it sounded bad and I was constantly getting beat by the YFZ 450's. And mine had a big bore kit in it and a cam.

There's another shop here and he believes in Curtis Sparks. He has had the nickname "Fast Freddie" for many years. They travel all over the east coast to drag races and come home with lots of 1st place trophies. That's why I run a Curtis Sparks on mine.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Raptor450

There's another shop here and he believes in Curtis Sparks. </end quote></div>

great pipes..

Old 04-14-2008, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider
Is addicted to 4 wheel'n!

Ya, dude with those mods you should be blowing the doors off the 450's. Something isn't right. Got a riden partner with PCIII and full LRD system that will kill any piped 450.