Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

01 Grizzly 600 running to rich

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 Grizzly 600 running to rich

I put on a FMF slip on pipe I notice that it has black **** around the end of the pipe. Its runs fine, I pulled the plug and it shows to be running rich. So my question is do I need to go up or down on the on jets for a better mixture, or is it just a adjustment, if so which screw do I need to adjust?.

I pulled the carb off to clean it and see if I could see something wrong, everything looks ok? and what does the diaphram on top of the carb do, do you need it? I think it is like a governor?

thanks
Bill

Old 04-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The diapham at the top, is needed, vacumn inside of it is what makes the slide go up or down....its a CV carb.
I would seriously doubt its running rich, unless the enrichener was stuck partially on. Adding a pipe should lean it out. Did you do anything on the intake side? KN filter...remove lid?

Old 04-15-2008, 12:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

hondabuster,
thanks for the info. I have not done anything to the air box yet, I have a K&N air filter on order. What is the enrichener, jet? I see on the carb blow up a, main jet, pilot jet,starter jet, so which one is the the enrichener jet?. I was also wondering about the cv carb, if you could do away with the slide in the throat, because I think that is why is takes a second for the engine to spool up. Everything in the carb looks the some as any other carb.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The choke really isnt, its an enrichener, and it uses the starter jet for fuel. CV carbs cant use choke plates, because of the way the slide needs a vacumn source. If you have a leak in that diaphram at the top of the slide, itll cause bog too. But the slide cant be eliminated..it wont work at all if the slide is out.
Think of a CV carb as a 4 barrel carb with vacumn secondaries( it only allows as much fuel as the engine can handle), a slide carb is a mechanical carb....very easy to overwelm at low rpm and high throttle application, a situation which no one wants on a 4x4 in the mud.
If youve got a bog, on sudden throttle on , then check the mixture screw adjustment, its probably a bit lean.
Once the KN gets in there, the bog will get worse, because the filter will lean things even more, so you probably want a bigger pilot jet too.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

hondabuster,
Thanks I understand and I think I can figure it out which way to go.