Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior smoking bad

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior smoking bad

My friend has an old warrior - '89 I think. It smokes really bad while running. We know its not burning oil because it doesnt use it, nor smells like it. Its white smoke. Of course the warrior isnt water cooled, so its not coolant. We pulled the plug out of it and it had quite a bit of build up on it. The cylinder was rebuilt in '01. It pretty much sat around after the rebuild until he bought it... at least thats what he was told when he bought it. We're gonna try to run some seafoam through it and see if it clears it up. What could cause this? It runs pretty strong. Thanks!

Old 04-17-2008, 10:12 PM
Trailblazer

dose it stop smoking when it gets warm?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:14 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: woodsjunky

dose it stop smoking when it gets warm?</end quote></div>

We went riding on Tuesday and it never seemed to clear up. We were riding in 30-45 min intervals, then we'd take a quick break. It may get better, but never goes away. I'm not really sure, I wasnt paying much attn, afterall, he was behind me the whole time :-)

Old 04-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

sounds like rings my warrior smokes when i fire it up for about 2 minutes then clears up when the cylinder comes to temp. it use to do the some thing as ur freinds bike when igot it and replaced a bad crank berring rod rings piston and all seals and runs like a raped ape now. the worst thing for that bike was to sit after the rebuild sound like it hurt more sitting not in use. tell him to go to a 43 tooth rear sprocket and he will enjot the bike more at the top end

Old 04-17-2008, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

but, if it were rings, wouldnt it be using oil?

EDIT: It was running 87 octane in it, he's now running premium. He corrected me, it was rebuilt in '04, not '01.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Trailblazer

the smoke isnt making it self my quad smoked and the oil looked the same all the time but its a cingle cylinder it would take forever to burn it all up. also its not burning very much if its white and most peoplejust do piston and rings with no cylinder work and charge for a full rebuild iv seen it happen before he might have a new piston on an old never touched cylinder do u know who rebuilt it?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:40 PM
Trailblazer

The local shop built it, they're pretty well known for good service. He has the receipt, I guess.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Trailblazer

also it could have good power and a bad oil ring. i know that motor inside and out and it sounds like he got a shitty rebuild or it never had one at all

Old 04-17-2008, 10:47 PM
Trailblazer

it could be a scratch in the cylinder wall if it was rebuilt corectly it happens. and it also hppens when the motor is rebuilt and never broken in and it sits. a ring could have got stuck befor it was seated or broken in properly and when it was finally started it scratched the wall. not an un comon thing in that case the shop will tell him the same thing

Old 04-17-2008, 10:49 PM
Trailblazer

Well, he's got to take the clutch apart soon. We'll check the crank seals while were at it.

On another note, do you have to adjust the valve clearance's on the warrior like you do the raptor?

Quick Reply: Warrior smoking bad