Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2002 Sportsman 700 Problem with front CV axles

Search this Thread

Old Today | 02:44 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 2002 Sportsman 700 Problem with front CV axles

Hello all,
I have been going through old posts and learning about the Polaris I bought used, And I have not been able to find anything on the problem I am having. (this is my first ATV I bought it to use for hunting so I wouldn't be ready for a nap when I got to the top of the mountain lol)
The front end just didn't feel right I aligned it but it only helped alittle. Watched alot of youtube videos and lurked around and read everything I could on the 2002 sportsman 700.
Then I got it up on jack stands Changed all of the fluids, then started poking around and found the axle was out of the differential about 1/2 an inch. (Picture 1)

disconnected everything and got it all the way out, it seamed to pop in and out very easily so I figured it was the Circlip, ordered a new clip and replaced the ball joints as they were sloppy put it back together, looked at it later that evening and it was popped out again. looking into in deeper this was a newer CV axle than the other side which seemed to original (was rusted in place took me 3 days and a can of PB blaster to get it out). The newer one has ATVPC PO-0418 stamped on the shaft. I found a article online saying that 2002 had to different axles depending on whether manufacture date was before or after 05.20.2002 Called a company on Amazon (Niche) Lady was very nice looked up my vin and I bought 2 new axles, installed them this afternoon and they really don't work they are to long for the front wheel hub and don't fit in place at the back of the hub.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.