Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

grizzly 700 clutch kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:47 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grizzly 700 clutch kit

just picked up a new grizzly 700 has 32 miles on it and just put 27 swamp lites on it i know it will be awhile before its really broke in but would it hurt to put in a clutch kit and what kind would you recommend

Old 04-23-2008, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

I ordered one of these yesterday.

It is a new primary clutch sheave that has been re-machined, and includes lighter clutch weights, and a packet of grease you will need for installation.

The new sheave is machined a little farther down toward the middle, which lets the belt ride lower on the primary pulley, and higher on the secondary pulley, which gives you lower initial gearing off idle. But the sheave is also tapered different than stock, so at wide open throttle the primary clutch will shift out farther, and the belt rides higher on the primary pulley, and lower on the secondary pulley, which increases top speed. What you get is lower gearing on the bottom end, higher gearing on the top end, and faster acceleration in the middle.

I haven't received my new sheave yet, so I haven't had the chance to try it on the Grizzly yet. But I have used a Trinity Racing sheave on our Rhino, and as far as bang for the buck goes, the sheave change did more to improve performance than any other mod did. The Trinity sheave helped the Rhino far more than intake mods or aftermarket exhaust did, and it cost half as much as an exhaust, ... and doesn't make more noise. A new sheave is a great sleeper mod. Your ATV is faster because of it, but no one can see (or hear) why it is faster.

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to the Yamaha family. You're going to love that new Grizzly.

DV

Old 04-23-2008, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

The sheave appears to be the next best thing for atv's... There's a review over at atvtorture.com about them as well...

Clutch kit wise... I would go with EPI... I've got a Dalton... and it wasn't really that noticable of a gain...

Old 05-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

My buddy put the fix sheave in and he thinks it is too much low end. I tried it and I love it. Make the thing a real wheelie monstor!

Old 05-21-2008, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

It has been a month since I originally replied to this post, and in that month I have had the chance to install the Fix sheave, and try several different combinations of roller weights in an attempt to tune it for better performance. I did several timed drag races on an uphill 6% slope, on pavement. The starting line, and three finish lines were painted on the road, so the actual length of the race, and the place of the race would be consistent, and times were taken with a stop watch accurate to within .01 seconds. I timed three races for each clutch set up, and for each distance, and these times are the averages of three runs. The stock Grizzly 700 weights are 21 grams, the Grizzly 660 weights are 18 grams, and the fix weights are 15.7 grams.

Here are the results:
------------------------200'----------------300'----------------400'-----------Top Speed

stock clutch-----------5.63 sec-----------7.33 sec-----------8.98 sec----------64 mph

Fix sheave------------5.80----------------7.46---------------9.15---------------63 mph
& 8 Fix wts.

Fix sheave &----------5.84----------------7.55---------------9.22------------Not tested
4 Fix / 4 660 wts

Fix sheave &
4 Fix / 4 700 wts------5.89----------------7.95---------------9.36--------------69 mph

For every combination of weights I used on the Fix sheave I got slower acceleration than the same combination with the stock sheave. Some weight combinations allow you to turn big tires easier than stock, and some decrease your ability to turn big tires. The Fix sheave may be a viable clutch mod for some people, but for me it did not help, but rather, decreased performance. I was looking for improved acceleration, which is different than improved ability to turn oversized tires. I have since gone back to the stock sheave with a combination of six Grizzly 660 weights and two Grizzly 700 weights, which is giving me the best results thus far on my Grizzly 700 with 25" Terracross tires.

DV

Old 05-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

check out www.hauckperformance.com. They have been machining yamaha's clutches for years. They did my wolverine and I can't say enough good about it...I gained a ton of bottom end and almost 10 mph on the top.

They may not have the grizz 700 listed specifically, but give them a call and they will hook you up. There are 10 or more people on this site who have had their wolverines done and they will all tell you the same thing.

I don't have any numbers for performance increase...but I have done quite a few races before and after. Before, my buddies grizz 700 smoked me from start to finish, after the pipe, jets, filter, and hauck clutch, I beat him until I top out around 57. Same with all my other races...I'm faster off the line than anything else I have raced. I know the pipe, filter and jets also helped the performance, but the clutch work did the most.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DesertViper

It has been a month since I originally replied to this post, and in that month I have had the chance to install the Fix sheave, and try several different combinations of roller weights in an attempt to tune it for better performance. I did several timed drag races on an uphill 6% slope, on pavement. The starting line, and three finish lines were painted on the road, so the actual length of the race, and the place of the race would be consistent, and times were taken with a stop watch accurate to within .01 seconds. I timed three races for each clutch set up, and for each distance, and these times are the averages of three runs. The stock Grizzly 700 weights are 21 grams, the Grizzly 660 weights are 18 grams, and the fix weights are 15.7 grams.

Here are the results:

------------------------200'----------------300'----------------400'-----------Top Speed

stock clutch-----------5.63 sec-----------7.33 sec-----------8.98 sec----------64 mph

Fix sheave------------5.80----------------7.46---------------9.15---------------63 mph

& 8 Fix wts.

Fix sheave &----------5.84----------------7.55---------------9.22------------Not tested

4 Fix / 4 660 wts

Fix sheave &

4 Fix / 4 700 wts------5.89----------------7.95---------------9.36--------------69 mph

For every combination of weights I used on the Fix sheave I got slower acceleration than the same combination with the stock sheave. Some weight combinations allow you to turn big tires easier than stock, and some decrease your ability to turn big tires. The Fix sheave may be a viable clutch mod for some people, but for me it did not help, but rather, decreased performance. I was looking for improved acceleration, which is different than improved ability to turn oversized tires. I have since gone back to the stock sheave with a combination of six Grizzly 660 weights and two Grizzly 700 weights, which is giving me the best results thus far on my Grizzly 700 with 25" Terracross tires.

DV</end quote></div>

Great write up as always DV... Good to see some actual testing...

Old 05-22-2008, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MIwolvy

check out www.hauckperformance.com. They have been machining yamaha's clutches for years. They did my wolverine and I can't say enough good about it...I gained a ton of bottom end and almost 10 mph on the top.

They may not have the grizz 700 listed specifically, but give them a call and they will hook you up. There are 10 or more people on this site who have had their wolverines done and they will all tell you the same thing.

I don't have any numbers for performance increase...but I have done quite a few races before and after. Before, my buddies grizz 700 smoked me from start to finish, after the pipe, jets, filter, and hauck clutch, I beat him until I top out around 57. Same with all my other races...I'm faster off the line than anything else I have raced. I know the pipe, filter and jets also helped the performance, but the clutch work did the most.</end quote></div>

how much did they charge you for the clutch work?

Old 05-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

miassmaro98, I had mine installed by a local shop, who sent the clutch out to be machined by hauck...they charged me a little over $200 for everything. I think hauck charges a little over $100 just to machine it...definitely worth the price.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

sounds good.another question can i use like the epi kit along with the machined clutch?

Quick Reply: grizzly 700 clutch kit