Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Ultramatic slipping when it's wet???

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultramatic slipping when it's wet???

We just got an '01 Grizzly 600 (1200 mi) and an '01 Kodiak 400 4x4 (800 mi). . .both Ultramatics. . .and took them out this weekend. . .what a blast!!! I only have one complaint though. . .when we were out on Saturday it was raining and there were a LOT of large puddles on the trails. . .no problem initially and no problem all day long with the Grizzly, but the Kodiak started to not hook-up after about an hour and a half to 2 hrs.

The first owner told us that becuase the Ultramatics are belt drive CVT's that if the belts get wet they may slip some, but once they dry out they would be fine. . .I could tell when they started to get dryer and I could hook-up a little bit better but the engine would still rev and then it would be a second or so before the Kodiak would actually get power to the wheels. . .on Sunday I didn't have any problems because there was practically no standing water on the trails where we rode and it was not raining.

What can I do to prevent/minimize this from happening. . .it was VERY annoying to me. . .even after I was getting power to the wheels more quickly and the quad was being peppy again I had to be very gradual with the throttle or it would slip again and I couldn't go over 30 MPH on the logging road and then I could only go that fast by being RIDICULOUSLY gentle with how much throttle I applied and had to VERY gradually speed up. . .other than that I love both of the quads.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:52 PM
2TV
Pro Rider

There are a couple of things you should check, first off there should be a drain plug that you pull to let the water out of the CVT cover should you submerge it. Make sure this drain plug is in place. Secondly is the snorkel to the CVT, make sure it's connected to the machine at the lower end. I've had the snorkel come off at this point on my 660 Grizzly before, that would allow a lot of water to get in.

Normally the only way water can get into the CVT and cause the belt to slip is via the top opening of the snorkel which is up pretty high. I wouldn't think you should be getting water in there just by splashing through puddles...

Old 05-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Trailblazer

2TV. . .thanks. . .I had just found a bunch of the slipping belt & snorkel threads just as you replied. . .

Yeah. . .some of the puddles (and I use the term lightly) were REALLY big and it was the first time that we had the quads out. . .SOOOOO I went through every little bit of water that I could find just as fast as I could. . .I got completely drenched head to toe. . .turns out that I guess if you don't have a snorkel. . .this is the quick route to slipping belts. . .snorkel is going on both quads this week before I take them out again this weekend.

I guess we didn't have any problems with the Grizzly because my girlfriend was riding that one and she wasn't as interested in the mud puddles at the time as I was!

Thanks for the suggestions

Old 05-06-2008, 12:18 AM
2TV
Pro Rider

Both machines would have a stock snorkel from the CVT cover that breathes up high on the front just under the plastic bodywork and you normally wouldn't have to worry about getting water in there unless you submerge it in deep water. I suppose if you are spashing hard long enough, one might get some water in there from time to time.

I've never had any trouble with my Grizzlies though with puddle blasting but I did have a problem in a deep mudhole once with my 700 Grizzly where the belt started to slip. Once I got out of the hole I found that my CVT cover drain plug was missing and since the opening was submerged water got inside. It was OK again after it dried out some and I improvised a replacement plug by screwing a bolt through the grommetted opening...

Old 05-06-2008, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

You would normally have to drive thru a creek that was just about up to the racks to get water in to the belt. If you take a look under the quad above the muffler you should be able to see the plastic that is the "snorkel" in the back. This is different from the add on snorkels that allow you to completely submerge the quad. If the "stock snorkel" becomes disconnected it would be easier to get water in to the belt. If the drain plug was out you can get water in thru the hole. It is not normal for a quad to slip just from splashing thru puddles. I would check your drain plug and both the front and rear snorkels. While you're at it you might as will check the hoses on the diff vents as well.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys. . .I'm gonna check the stock snorkels and the drain plug as well.