Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ethanol/ignition advance on warrior

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ethanol/ignition advance on warrior

I have an 87 warrior that I'm trying to squeeze every bit of cheap power out of. I've got a straight baffle pipe, and a mikuni tm36-68 flat-slide pumper with a high flow air filter. I just got the carb dialed in just right and it rips pretty good, but i'm always looking for more. I'm in Canada and we have no E85 but we have access to a 10% ethanol blend along with the usual 87, 91, 94. I was wondering if i used the 10% ethanol would i have to richen up the jetting or will it be fine? i have a rubber hose connecting the tank to the carb and i'm pretty i'm gonna have to change that, i've heard ethanol eats rubber. I was also thinking with the little bit of octane boost that the ethanol gives i could advance the ignition timing a little, maybe 4-6 degrees by lengthening the mounting holes in the stator and turning it. So if i run ethanol do i have to change jetting? and can i advance the timing? even if it doesn't give much power it's ok, i just hate thinking that i'm missing out on available power.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Ok, first let me say that I like the way you think.

Second, about the jetting question. If you are right on the money right now, then yes, your going to have to rejet.

You can use the same rubber hose but it will get hard. It will take a few years but it will get hard and break in the long run. Be a good idea to change it now with something like Tygon.

You can advance the timing a bit with a little alky. This is a good idea.

Just another thought. You can go up to around 15% alky with your gas without separation. BUT, if you do this you will have to mix it the same way or you will have to rejet. If you go to a higher % remember to do this in warm weather.

Old 05-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info.

Just wondering, how come 15% alky is as high as you can go without separation? They sell 85% as a fuel and it works fine with the right jetting.
As for jetting (on 10% mix) what would be the basic guidelines? like how many sizes should i go up on the pilot and main and could i keep the same needle and just lower the clip? I just got done a round of jetting and it was a bit of a pain, if i had to get more jets, it's an hour drive to the shop and it's $4 a pop for the jets, I'm kind of on a budget and I'm cheap to begin with haha

Is there a way to buy a kit of jets within a certain range at a discount instead of buying them all individually?

Whenever E85 comes around i'm probly gonna put in a 12:1 piston, set up the carb for it, and advance the timing even more, it'll rip like hell [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Thanks again for the info

Old 05-12-2008, 03:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

If you notice they don't sell a 50 50 mix. There is a reason for this. It's because they will phase separate. The lower the temp the less alky you can add before this happens. As you noticed, you can go the other way without phase separation.

Yes, you can buy a jet kit.

The 12 to 1 on E85 sounds like a great idea. The only thing is your range will be cut by about a 1/4 or so.

Let us know how it works for you.