Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

grizzly 700 plastic fadding is anyone else haveing this problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 09:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default grizzly 700 plastic fadding is anyone else haveing this problem

bought my griz in march and just got a chance to realy get out and ride and get it dirty, got back home washed it then waxed it and when i go to take the wax off the color of the plastic came off oon the rag and now the bike looks sun faded i thought i was strange so i put some more wax on and it did it agan so i thought maybe its the wax but i tried like 5 other brands an they all do it is anyone else haveing this problem cause i called yamaha and told me to get it up to my dealer so they can take a look at it and they did and also took pic . got a phone call back a week later saying that what im seeing is fadding caused by scratches an that the color of the plastic cant come off . so what does everyone else think any info would help thanks

Old 06-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Faded appearance is definitely caused by scratches or imperfections in the surface which distort the light being reflected. It can also be caused by a layer or film on top of the surface.

The dealer is correct about the color being part of the plastic and is not just a surface coating like some of the "camo" prints are.

All polishes and waxes with polishing compounds do their job by being slightly abrasive and basically sanding the scratches away and filling them with wax. So unless the vehicle is clear coated, you will see some color coming off when you rub vigorously.

But it doesn't sound to me like your plastic should be all that faded since March unless yours has an excessive amount of fine scratches from riding.

I can't really comment on the amount of scratches that is normal since I have an SE model with the silver streaked (bear scratch) finish and it has to be one of the easiest color/patterns to keep clean looking and basically hides all scratches.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

maybe you shouldn't use wax try armeral or black magic tire shine

Old 06-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Pro Rider

I've seen a few people over on Grizzlycentral complain about their camo fading.. I also thought mine was near the footwells, but after further inspection, I don't think it is.

Old 06-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Pro Rider

if you want to wax it, get some motorcyle wax. its specially made for plastic. I use it on mine every so often but I usually use wd-40. it leaves a nice shine and makes the surface slick so mud and dirt will wash off easier after a good ride