Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Bear 4wd or 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2001, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 2000 4X4 Big Bear I have never ridden a 2X4 BB, but I can tell that the 4X4 BB steers easy compared to other 4X4. Like some others have said on this post you will be sorry if you get the 2X4 when start getting stuck all the time. I have ridden with alot of people that have gotten 2X4 utility quads and they are always sorry that they did when every one else spends all there time pulling them out. If you want the best of both worlds I would recommend getting the new Kodiaks that have both 2wd and 4wd. It migth be a little pricey for you, but the Kodiak is by far the best deal of the 4 wheelers that can switch from 2wd and 4wd.

Old 01-26-2001, 01:02 AM
Trailblazer

samman2,
I got a 2001 4x4 Big Bear last fall. I chose the Big Bear because I like to be able to go in deep mud and water without having to worry about getting a belt wet or hot. (I towed out my friend's Grizzly with this problem a couple of weeks ago.) I use mine up here in northeast LA in the woods for deer hunting, and in the flooded rice fields going to the duck blinds and putting out decoys, etc. My 4x4 steers about as easy as my friends 2x4 Honda 300, and I have no trouble navigaing the tight turns. I can turn a lot shorter than the guys on Honda Foreman's. The Big Bear is geared low and thus not a fast machine, but is just right for hunting and hauling stuff. If you are into doing donuts and riding down trails at 60 mph, it won't be your cup of tea, but if you plan use it as a utility and hunting machine, the 4x4 Big Bear will be perfect. I love mine.
Before you buy, call Hattiesburg Cycles in Hattiesburg, MS and get a price from them. They are the largest Yamaha dealer in the world, have great prices, and their biggest seller is the Big Bear! Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-26-2001, 06:59 PM
jdm
Trailblazer

I bought a left over 2000 big bear 2x4 this fall, I really wanted a 4x4 but at the price they had it marked I couldn't resist. After getting stuck several times I wished I had spent the extra 1400 and got a 2001 4x4. But the other way to look at it is I can do a lot of winching and pushing for $1400. My plan is to get some vampires before next deer season and that should help considerably according to what guys on here have said.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1990 big bear 350 2x4

New to the forum and I'm sure I'll have a million questions later. I just recently purchased a1990 BB 2x4. It needs 2 rear tires and could use 2 fronts but they are passable for now. All the plastic is in good shape. I bought it off a reputable fella. I figure I'll need a carb kit and a battery. I got it in a package deal so it's hard to place a $ amount on it. With the new tires, carb kit and oil change I'll have about 500 in it. I figure I'll keep it. I'm really a motocross guy, I've ridden quads butt this is the first one I've owned. Mainly got it to trail ride with my dad. He has a 750 brute force and a winch so I'm not worried about being stuck lol. Is there any info I should know about the model quad??? Common failures, Things to look out for etc???

Old 03-08-2021, 06:44 AM
Classic Yamaha Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony Keene
New to the forum and I'm sure I'll have a million questions later. I just recently purchased a1990 BB 2x4. It needs 2 rear tires and could use 2 fronts but they are passable for now. All the plastic is in good shape. I bought it off a reputable fella. I figure I'll need a carb kit and a battery. I got it in a package deal so it's hard to place a $ amount on it. With the new tires, carb kit and oil change I'll have about 500 in it. I figure I'll keep it. I'm really a motocross guy, I've ridden quads butt this is the first one I've owned. Mainly got it to trail ride with my dad. He has a 750 brute force and a winch so I'm not worried about being stuck lol. Is there any info I should know about the model quad??? Common failures, Things to look out for etc???
For trail riding I think an experienced rider with a good set of tires and a winch the 2x4 Big Bear will do just fine. I have a 2x4 Timberwolf and although a little lighter I had no problem keeping up on trail rides with my 4x4 friends. Only when i intentionally went through mud pits to test it out did I get stuck. I have a winch on it so no big deal.
I did buy a '98 Big Bear 4x4 just so I can move through the real sloppy stuff if I want to. As far as the 350 Big Bears go, they are as reliable as they come. Obviously they are built like tanks as yours is 31 years old and still running. Also, this is one of the biggest thread necros I've ever seen. Over 20 years from the last post to yours lol.

Old 03-09-2021, 03:25 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 330 Likes on 321 Posts

Rear wheel bearings on all older Yamahas with swinging arm rear ends. You must check them regularly and change them if they show play, otherwise they start putting strain on axle and crownwheel splines, and diff bearings. Most older Big Bears got scrapped because they are not worth the cost of new rear axle parts.

The following users liked this post:
FlawleZ (03-09-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 08:20 AM
Classic Yamaha Fan
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
Rear wheel bearings on all older Yamahas with swinging arm rear ends. You must check them regularly and change them if they show play, otherwise they start putting strain on axle and crownwheel splines, and diff bearings. Most older Big Bears got scrapped because they are not worth the cost of new rear axle parts.
I'm seeing new axles and hubs for $60-70. Maybe people were only checking dealer prices. I bought my '92 Timberwolf last year with a bad rear axle. Paid $60 for a new one and it's working just fine now.

Old 03-10-2021, 03:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 330 Likes on 321 Posts

It may be different now but a few years back we tried to get axles and couldn't get aftermarket for Big Bears. One problem was Yamaha kept changing the rear axle/diff on Big Bears, so nobody bothered. Finally found someone through a Yam dealer, who made them to order from billet, using CNC, but they were a lot more than $60, about £200 if I remember rightly.