Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Sea-Doo starter guts

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea-Doo starter guts

Has anyone ever heard of taking the brushes out of a Sea-Doo starter and putting them in a starter for a Warrior? If so what kind of Sea-Doo and is it really that much better?

" I had a modded 92 for a number of years. Constant nickle and dime problem. Starter was a constant problem- went through 3 and a few rebuilds besides. If you do get one, at least get the Sea-Doo brush assembly to put in the starter. Due to the geometry, the chain stretching was a constant problem no matter what brand or quality chain I put on. You can't run it too loose either, because through the suspension travel it can throw it, wedge it next to the front sprocket, and take out your crankcase. I replaced the shocks twice with factory units due to blown seals. Clutch pull was always very stiff, even with new cables and a new clutch. Headlight bulbs don't last long. Electrical solenoids on the starting circuit only last about 2 years as well. Motor rebuilds get expensive too because of the crank/rod assembly. I know others with Warriors that had many of the same issues as well.

Did I beat it? Yes. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) But every other machine I've ever had (Honda and Kawi) have taken much more abuse with much less maintenance.

Owning that Warrior is what made me vow to never EVER own another Yami of any sort.

--------------------

2004 Lava Red V-Force... and not as fast as I think I am. "

" It's been so long ago, I'm sure I don't have that info anymore. I gave all my paperwork for the machine to the guy who bought it.

If you go to the Yami dealer and they handle Sea-Doo's (or can view the microfiche for them)- it's an easy match. The brushes, leads, and mounting plate look EXACTLY alike- right down to the holes and notches in the mounting plate. As I recall, the Sea Doo brushes are less than half the price of the Yami brushes too.

Find a good Yami forum and I'm sure you'll find the info. I can't be the only one that figured that little trick out, and I've shared it with just about every Warrior rider I've chatted with on the trails. "

Old 08-19-2008, 03:42 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea-Doo starter guts

Either nobody knows or nobody cares.