Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Wolverine in the Snow ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2001, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wolvrule, do you ride near Portage at all? Another thing, What's the name of that HUGE hillclimb that you can see from the road coming into beaverdale? It looks like 2 or 3 football fields straight up, it's like a main attraction or something?

Old 02-01-2001, 07:45 PM
Range Rover

Hey guys, if you think that a Wolverine can't get sideways down a trail and do donuts than you can't drive worth sh@t. Come ride with me and I'll show you how to handle a full time 4by!! By the way, I've gotten stuck in snow and mud and beleive me, the bike isn't light, so be sure to get a winch cause if you do get stuck, unless your real tall and can get some good power to lift the bike, your not goin anywheres..

Also, how about that #1 Wolverine GNCC racer. It's got a 500cc engine but is still full time 4by and I saw pictures of him flying down a dirt trail sideways..

Old 02-01-2001, 10:29 PM
Pro Rider

From my experience I think it does just fine for my needs. Except its rather hard to climb a steep hill in snow......Be sure to get a running start. When we got our snow here in Iowa I never got stuck. Me and my brother were going along literally plowing the snow because our skid plates were pushing the snow along. Given we werent flying along more like crawling but still.......The snow was past the mid point on the tires. However the Grizzly did the best due to the better ground clearance and possibly more power?
Oh yeah this last weekend we had an inch and a half left......You know Raptor's are fun to ride? =-)

'01 Blue Raptor- Blue Shockwears, Black UFO Handguards
'99 Green Wolverine- Pipe, Jetting, UNI Filter, Skids, Black UFO Handguards

Old 02-03-2001, 05:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah okay, try to compare sliding a full time 4x4 with a sport quad. Duh, it doesn't work. I had a Wolverine and I could slide it in the pathetic way you guys describe but it wasn't fun. Crabbing over to one side or another does not constitute a power slide. you need to get off the utility machines and ride a sport quad to experience what I am talking about. BTW anybody who thinks of the Wolverine as a sport quad also owns a mobile home and calls it a house.

Old 02-03-2001, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider

my 95 wolverine loves 8"of snow its the most fun you can have with your clothes on. have not had a chance to ride it in any deeper snow yet

Old 02-03-2001, 10:13 AM
Range Rover

Duh, did I compare sliding the wolv. with a sport bike? I've been riding 2 wheel drive 3,4 wheelers since I was around 9 and I wouldn't compare the two in sliding capabilities but with aggressive driving and the right conditions, it can be done.

I would consider the Wolverine a sport 4by in its class compared to say a BigBear, or a Honda 300 Fourtrax. Gearing is higher for speed and the look of the bike is definately sporty. You get the picture, I think.... Or do you have some other comment that everyone here knows??

Old 02-04-2001, 05:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Hey guys, if you think that a Wolverine can't get sideways down a trail and do donuts than you can't drive worth sh@t."

And this coming from a guy who installed a windshield and rear seat on his Wolverine. Yeah, I can see you getting off on the Wolverine's mediocre sliding ability.

Old 02-04-2001, 06:40 PM
Range Rover

I didn't buy the machine for its "sliding ablitity". I bought it because its a good all around bike for work, play, mud, snow etc.. I don't have the money to buy a 4by and a sport, so I chose something that gives me alittle of both.

I put a rear seat on it for my girlfriend and the windshield (for the winter) is to shield off the cold. Believe me, when you've been riding for a few hours in -20ish temps and the wind is hitting you directly in the face and body, you'd understand why I put one on genious.. Whats the weather like where you live? What do you ride??

I suppose your going to tell me that the windshield and the rear seat is going to affect the bikes performance right?

Anyways, thats enough for me. I don't have anything to prove. I like my wolv. the way it is and as long as I'm happy with it, to he** with what you think!

Old 02-05-2001, 03:08 AM
Range Rover

Hey jefffoxsr,
I put a locker in and swampers for maximum movement.There a bit more to steer but youll be able to go places you only dreamed of before.
I loved my Wolverine but sadly we had to part.
I went out and bought a 2000 polaris 500 scrambler.The Wolverine was without doubt the best sport 4x4 for years untill the scrambler came along . If you do sport 4x4 try one you'll love the 2and4 wheel option which to me would of been nice on the wolverine.anyway happy trails.
Matt
200 500 scrambler pulled by Z71

Old 02-05-2001, 03:15 AM
Range Rover

Hey jefffoxsr,
I put a locker in and swampers for maximum movement.There a bit more to steer but youll be able to go places you only dreamed of before.
I loved my Wolverine but sadly we had to part.
I went out and bought a 2000 polaris 500 scrambler.The Wolverine was without doubt the best sport 4x4 for years untill the scrambler came along . If you do sport 4x4 try one you'll love the 2and4 wheel option which to me would of been nice on the wolverine.anyway happy trails.
Matt
200 500 scrambler pulled by Z71