Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly Differental Lock light will not turn off.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly Differental Lock light will not turn off.

Help!

My son messed up my 2003 Grizzly 660 today. Today, he took it mud riding and he went through some deep water. Now my differental lock light will not turn off, so now it misses if you go above 22 mph. You can hear the electric motor engage and disengage the differental locks but, the light never changes.

About 1 year ago, I electrical greased my computer box and connectors under the seat. I never did grease the connecters on the differential.

So tonight, I undid both electrical plugs on the differential and greased them. It did not change anything. Both electrical plugs felt and looked dry.

So what do you think my next step should be?

Old 09-03-2008, 02:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd try disconnecting the battery for 5 mins. That should reset the electrical system. When you go to start it again, turn the key on and wait 20 seconds for it to run any diagnostics before hitting the start button.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

I would not assume that because you hear the electric motor, the diff is unlocking. I usually have to start and stop and goose it sometimes more than others to get it to unlock. It might still be engaged. You could try riding on some loose or slippery dirt to see if both wheels pull.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I could not see the front tires spin on wet grass and when I actually locked the diffs in the steering was hard to turn. So I believe the diffs are actually working.

I just got home and undid the battery. I will see if that works. If not, I should have more time this weekend to check it out better. By the way, thanks for the help guys! You all save alot of time! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

If the diff was unlocking then you should be able to get one wheel to spin while the other does not if things are slippery enough. Apply the rear brakes and give it the gas. Or you can lift it up in the air and check it. Either way let us know how it turns out. That would be good info to know if it turns out to be a "computer" malfunction. Good Luck

Old 09-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

The battery thing did not work. My next stop is to jack it up and check to make sure the diff. is unlocking. If it is not unlocking, what should I do then?

Thanks again,

Killer

Old 09-04-2008, 02:36 AM
Pro Rider

As I said it is often difficult to get mine to unlock. If I am riding I will press the button to unlock and then I will speed up and slow down and stop and go and sometimes it will let go right away and sometimes it takes a bit. Getting the front wheels off the ground and unlocking it might be all it takes. Unless something is broken I would think it will unlock.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try reverse. Other folks have mentioned they sometimes have to back up in order to get the front diff to unlock. If that works, the actuator is probably wearing out, or dirty.. You will have to tear down the diff to find out.