Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

new crankcase?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new crankcase?

I recently purchased a 2007 grizzly 450 and ran into an isuue over the weekend. I went out to ride my atv a few days ago and found a small oil leak on my garage floor. I looked at the bottom of the crankcase where the oil drain plug screws in and the crankcase had 4 fractures running through it. I removed the plug and when I did, 2 of the places where the metal was fractured, fell completely out! It appears that this material is soft and the plug was all that was holding it in place.

My question is...does anyone know what it is going to take to fix this? Will I have to buy a new crankcase cover? If so, what does it usually cost and where is the best place to get the best deal? Thanks for any input.....

Old 09-17-2008, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Default new crankcase?

i wouldnt try to rigg up a 07 so id check into getting a new case. Shouldnt be too bad for price or to change. And get a good skid or make something ur self to assure that it dont happen again

Old 09-17-2008, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider
Default new crankcase?

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: YamaMoto

I recently purchased a 2007 grizzly 450 and ran into an isuue over the weekend. I went out to ride my atv a few days ago and found a small oil leak on my garage floor. I looked at the bottom of the crankcase where the oil drain plug screws in and the crankcase had 4 fractures running through it. I removed the plug and when I did, 2 of the places where the metal was fractured, fell completely out! It appears that this material is soft and the plug was all that was holding it in place.

My question is...does anyone know what it is going to take to fix this? Will I have to buy a new crankcase cover? If so, what does it usually cost and where is the best place to get the best deal? Thanks for any input.....</end quote></div>

OUCH!! You must have wacked that case real good!!

If you just bought it.... and the material around the oil plug is that weak..I'd say you got a defective one from the factory... Hopefully you didn't buy it used and it was beat down and the person selling it knew it had cracks...

Anyhow.. I have the same machine.. it is actually in the shop right now... for an oil leak but mine is leaking out of the rear output shaft. The stealership replaced the seal - but then it leaked again... I brough it back.. and it has been in the shop since last Tuesday... He told me that if it was something that wasn't covered under Warranty he would call and let me know... So since it has been a week... .I am banking on it being covered...

I have been quite busy and actually forgot about the quad.. I know bad me.. I will call this morning to see how they are making out...

Old 09-17-2008, 01:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default new crankcase?

I just called the Stealership!

No Cracks [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Basically the bearing that supports the rear-output shaft was Shot! basically it went @ 900 miles... Fixed for FREE though... well Warranty !

Old 09-17-2008, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default new crankcase?

glad to hear no cracks.....and is under warranty! hope it holds up and you don't encounter what I am right now.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default new crankcase?

yea, a skid is in the works....I have no idea what happened. To be honest, I think the place that chenged my oil last, overtightened the bolt. The oil was changed and I didn't ride it for a few weeks afterwards. It was parked under my deck in dirt so i didn't notice small oil leak on ground. It was only once I brought it into the garage that I foiund the leak. Of course, the shop is denying any responsibility. I can' t prove I didn't run over something but I was riding on a well groomed dirt road and to have damaged the crank the way it was, I would have heard and felt it when it happened. I'm hoping to be able to find a used part in good shape, otherwise I'm hoping to find a good price on a new one......

Old 09-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default new crankcase?

I wanna see pictures!