Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2003 Yamaha Kodiak 450 Cooling

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Yamaha Kodiak 450 Cooling

I have a 2003 yamaha kodiak 450 i just bought. i ran it for about and hour straight and it overheated the cooling fan never turned on. i ran a positive lead to the fan and it works. What do you think is the problem is it the water pump or do you think the sensor that drives the fan is no good? Should i run the fan with a switch and a inline fuse?

Old 10-22-2008, 09:51 AM
Range Rover

Check the thermostat. You can do that by putting it in a pot of water and and then turn on the the heat. Put a thermometer in the water and the thermostat should open at 150 degrees, give or take a couple. You can tell it opens when you see a few bubbles. If that works, reinstall and then open your radiator and put the thermometer in the radiator, start the bike and let it run. You say the fan is working, so to check the temp sensor on the radiator, the fan should start at around 197 degrees, give or take five. This is all according to the service manual. NOTE: on the thermostat, there is a vent hole. When you reinstall it, make sure that the vent hole lines up with the tab when you put it back in. You will see what I am talking about. If you don't, it will not allow the coolant to flow properly. Made that mistake myself. On the inline fuse and toggle switch idea. I know several people who have done that and am actually leaning that direction myself. Gives you more control and my fan dosen't seem to come on as much as it should, though it still works. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider

Hey There,

First off welcome to the forums! Celltech pretty much said it all.. since he referenced the Service manual -- why not get a copy for yourself [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

I do like the idea of putting a fan w/switch w/fuse to the fan. Not a bad idea.. I am considering installing a temperature gauge. I have see others who have done that..

Anyhow Here is a link w/instructions on how to download a copy of the 03-06 Kodiak 450 manual...

Manual
http://www.savefile.com/files/74511

The link for the manual works but sometimes you just need to work it a bit...

1. Click the link in the Message
2. Scroll down to the Section in the BLUE Box that says "05-06 Kodiak 450" and Click "DOWNLOAD FILE"
3. Your download SHOULD start...

IF NOT

4. Scroll down to the Bottom.... where you will see
" Your download should begin shortly.
If it does not, try <u>Download file now</u>
"

That should do the trick [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/beer.gif[/img]

Old 10-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

If it truly overheated and the fan did not come on I would check the fan circuit first. You say that you ran a positive lead to the fan and it worked, but did you check to see if there was any power on the regular wire that goes to the fan? Is there a fuse or circuit breaker for the fan? Have you checked to see if there is any problems with the power wires like a loose connection or damage?

Old 11-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had same problem on my 05 kodiak...turned out to be a bad fan switch (connection on the left side of the radiator). Replaced the switch for $20 and now the fan works fine. The switch apparently goes bad and can't sense when to complete the connection.

If your fan works with direct power, it is most likely the fan switch...good luck

Old 08-12-2010, 09:22 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default looking for kodiak 2006 service manual

Hi everyone,

Reading this, I realized that it`s an old topic from 2008, I am looking for the service manual of a yamaha kodiak 2006, I`ve tried the link but it doesn`t work.

Thanks

Old 08-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by myche007
Hi everyone,

Reading this, I realized that it`s an old topic from 2008, I am looking for the service manual of a yamaha kodiak 2006, I`ve tried the link but it doesn`t work.

Thanks
I think you need to email me.... snowwmax@yahoo.com and I will email you back (via 3 or 4 emails) the 2003-2006 Kod 450 manual.

Regards
-CS-

Old 08-12-2010, 08:41 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Kodiak Overheating

My brother just ran into his 04 400 overheatinmg with the fan not running...he was the same place as you...the fan ran when wired direct...there are only so many parts to this circuit...the sensor to turn on/off the fan and the sensor to turn on/off heat light...his problem ended up being in the radiator...that sensor never told the fan to turn on...the light is taken from engine block temp...that still worked...he replaced the sensor in the radiator and it took care of the problem...service manual if you can get your hands on it will walk you through step by step how to check and what to check! Good Luck!
Mudslinger2

Old 08-13-2010, 06:24 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by mudslinger2
My brother just ran into his 04 400 overheatinmg with the fan not running...he was the same place as you...the fan ran when wired direct...there are only so many parts to this circuit...the sensor to turn on/off the fan and the sensor to turn on/off heat light...his problem ended up being in the radiator...that sensor never told the fan to turn on...the light is taken from engine block temp...that still worked...he replaced the sensor in the radiator and it took care of the problem...service manual if you can get your hands on it will walk you through step by step how to check and what to check! Good Luck!
Mudslinger2

I am installing a Water temp guage in my quad! I bought a 1230-280 temp gauge from Ebay for $14 and will spend another $6 for the T-fitting and adapter. It is mechanical and will work just fine! I am not going to get suckered into spending $60-$100 for a JT gauge and T-fitting adapter just because it is specific for an ATV.... Nope - not gonna do it

Old 08-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Trailblazer

Will it be better if you installed another fan? Two fans could help cool the engine better