Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

I think my stator finally quit on me, any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think my stator finally quit on me, any thoughts?

i was riding today and was putting around in 2nd gear and i cracked into the throttle over a puddle and flung water everywhere and then my bike shutdown instantly, i tried drying off connections and waiting but all it would due is turn over and fire everyonce in a while but then shut off, so all i got was a " bum bum" sound and then it died finally and it wouldnt even do that, skid starting wouldnt work either, and i cant get a spark when i ground the plug either so im figuring maybe its finally time for a ricky stator, i knew mine was gonna go sooner or later because the wires are real frayed and the shielding is falling off, and i could hear a whining kinda sound coming from the stator side of the engine and if the idle was low you could really here it if you got close, so i was just wondering if any1 else ever had a stator just go up like that all the sudden, so im guessing i better start getting $150 bucks ready, thanks

Old 10-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I JUST HAD THE SAME PROBLEM LAST WEEK.....DAMN WATER. I FIGURED THE SAME THING AND BOUGHT A RICKYSTATOR AND PUT IT IN. AFTER STARTING IT UP, IT DIED AGAIN I LOOKED AT ALL THE WIRING AND FOUND 3 INCHES OF THE TAN WIRES WERE BURNT AND GONE COMING OUT OF THE CDI BOX IN THE BACK. I WOULD TAKE OFF THE REAR FENDERS AND LOOK CLOSLY AT THE HARNESS ALSO IF THE WIRES ARE BAD COMING OUT OF THE STATOR YOU COULD TRY REPLACING THE CHAFED WIRES CUTTING AND SPLICING ONE AT A TIME THEN RE WRAP THE HARNESS

Old 10-31-2008, 07:16 PM
Pro Rider

i took my stator off and its definitely done, the round little wire holder thing that sits on the side of the actual coil had fallen off to where you could just easily pull it off and the top of it had ben cut like it was bouncing around and got cut by a gear on the flywheel or something, so i swapped a coil from a 93 spare parts bike and i think this one is weak also it wont start by the starter only skid starting and when i do a spark test the spark is white and small but the spark jumps around all over the bridge and electrode so thats not normal, so i figure ill just suck it up and buy a ricky stator for $150 but also does anyone know if thats the whole assembly? or do i have to splice something because i notice theres like two separate wires in the stator one to the stator and one on the other side. thanks, im trying to get this thing going tip top so i can sell and hopefully buy a banshee.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:40 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>$150 bucks ready, thanks </end quote></div>

Thats all , I think my stator is $300+[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

yep, i just hope the stator hub didnt get damaged as well... ill find out sooner or later, if it is done i have another one from a 93 thats hopefully in better condition.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Pro Rider

as long as you match up the year make and model, the rickystator site shows ALL connectors available for the bike you choose. on my 99 big bear, i have 4 options. so when i have to replace mine, i know to tear it apart first then i can look at the pretty pictures.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

it turns out in the stator hub did get damaged, its badly scratch all the way around from my stator falling apart, i have another one thats a little rusty but will hopefully work, any1 know how clean they gotta be? or how they wear out?