Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

synthetic oil for my wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 12:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default synthetic oil for my wolverine

I've read quite a few posts about synthetic oils and a lot of riders specify they use amsoil brand. What specific type of oil would be preferred if I use my atv for ice fishing where the quad is subjected to quite cold conditions. Would it be recommended that I change the type oil for summer riding? I bought an 05 wolverine that has ultra low hours on it and maybe never had an oil change.

Old 11-22-2008, 01:50 AM
Trailblazer

Amsoil Powersport synthetic is 0-40w which should answer the mail for any temp.

Old 11-22-2008, 07:45 AM
DCT
Banned

lightningz,

I'm also an AMSOIL fan. The 0W-40 Powersports oil will cover you in summer and winter conditions. It also works if your oil change is for both the engine and the CVT (if it is an auto), as it is wet clutch compatible (no friction-modifiers).

Check the manual. If the recommended oil is 5W-30, 10W-30, or 10W-40, the 0W-40 AMSOIL will work great. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is another great option for wet clutch compatibility.

If your Wolverine has separate engine and CVT requirements, you can use any good Synthetic oil in the engine, as you don't have to worry about the wet clutch compatibility.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

DCT-Can I use the Mobil 1 in the crankcase and the CVT? I run the Mobile 1 in my Harley and love it. I'm more worried about the cold of winter than the heat of summer. When I'm ice fishing the atv may sit in the cold on the frozen lake for many hours while I'm sitting in the fish house. Since I bought this Quad used I didn't get a manual, but I may have to pick one up just for reference. Although you know how men don't like to read instructions until something goes wrong. Thanks for the info

Old 11-22-2008, 12:41 PM
DCT
Banned

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: lightningz

DCT-Can I use the Mobil 1 in the crankcase and the CVT? I run the Mobile 1 in my Harley and love it. I'm more worried about the cold of winter than the heat of summer. When I'm ice fishing the atv may sit in the cold on the frozen lake for many hours while I'm sitting in the fish house. Since I bought this Quad used I didn't get a manual, but I may have to pick one up just for reference. Although you know how men don't like to read instructions until something goes wrong. Thanks for the info</end quote></div>

lightningz,

Not sure on the requirement for your ATV... specifically the CVT. Some use the same oil as the engine (wet clutch compatible) and some use a chaincase lube of some sort. There may even be a specific recommendation for yours. If you don't have the manual, try and check with a Yamaha dealer or someone who has the manual.

Also, here is a great resource on oil related questions...

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php
">http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/.../ubbthreads.php
</a>

There is a forum for Powersports questions.

EDIT: I see a thread at that site where a guy is using 0W-40 oil in his "semi-auto" Wolverine. Not sure if it covers the CVT too?

Old 11-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

10-w40 Mobile1 R4 works just fine,even in cold winter. it would be fine for CVT as well. the only time you will have a problem with it is if you do not let the engine warm up enough.

hope this helps

Old 11-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 2005 Wolverine was the last year of the standard engine and manual shift semi auto transmission, so it will need a wet clutch compatable oil. 2006 on up went to the CVT, but I know they use the belt to drive a centrifigal clutch, so I can not say for sure if that is seperate from engine oil or not.