Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly power steering ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grizzly power steering ?

As you can see from my posts, I'm doing my homework to buy a 4X4 ATV. I do like the fuel injection and might end up with a newer Grizzly. If I do, how does the power steering work and how reliable is it? If the power steering unit fails, can you still use to ATV or will it not steer? Also, if the unit fails and you can't afford to fix it right away, does the steering just go to feeling like a Grizzly without power steering? If you had a choice on a new Grizzly 700 with or without EPS, which one would you get? I plan on keeping the ATV for a long time and I like doing all my maintenance and repairs.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I have a buddy who works as a Service MGR at a very reputabile ATV shop here in Co and I asked him that exact question. He told me when they were first introduced he expected some major issues but has yet to see one. To say I was kinda reluctant to here that but after owning mine now for 3MO I would highly reccommend it without a doubt! LOVE IT!

Old 01-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Pro Rider

I will have to agree with DodgeHemi57, I have had mine about four months now and absolutely love it. I have not had any problems with it. You could not pay my wife to get on my Polaris Sportsman 700, but she will hop on my Grizzly and take off for a quick ride in the woods where she use to use my Rhino exclusively.

The power steering works through the use of an electric motor which gives variable assist just like your car does with more assist at lower speeds and less at faster speeds to provide feedback the difference being that your car uses a pump and if the pump fails you will have greatly increased steering effort.

If you have an EPS failure it will steer just like a non EPS machine. The system is set up this way as the electric motor has an automatic shut off if the motor becomes overheated due to using it too much which will keep the motor from burning out. The motor CAN become overheated by using it in slow moving situations in which you do an awful lot of constant turning. I have never had this happen and I ride mostly in the woods often as very slow, walking speeds.

Yes, I would buy it again and will never own a non EPS machine. Due to the popularity of the EPS on Grizzlies more manufacturers have come out with their version such as Honda and Polaris, I am sure others will follow.

The Grizzly is fairly easy to service and maintain as are most with which I have come into contact as they are all pretty much alike in simplicity of routine maintenance.

Old 01-13-2009, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Buy the grizzly w/ EPS..you will not regret it.

Once you do- sign up over on grizzlycentral.com priceless info over there

Old 02-08-2009, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've had mine for a year and half now with no problems at all,i can say i just rode a guys new artic cat 1000 thundercat unbelivable power but first thing i noticed was the steering it felt like driving a old truck compaired to the grizzly,buy it you will love it

Old 02-15-2009, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

Hello,

I will concurr with the other posts and will add that not only does it create a totally better riding experience it also acts as a great steering damper. Hitting large rocks, stumps, ruts, logs does not jerk the handle bars out of your hands at all. I wouldn't be without it. After 1 day with it you will feel the same way I'm sure of it.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:04 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: cody700 I will concurr with the other posts and will add that not only does it create a totally better riding experience it also acts as a great steering damper. Hitting large rocks, stumps, ruts, logs does not jerk the handle bars out of your hands at all. I wouldn't be without it. After 1 day with it you will feel the same way I'm sure of it.</end quote></div>
Ditto, it's the bomb [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]