Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What to do to keep you quad from getting stolen

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2001, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't assume that homeowner's insurance will cover it because it won't. I too thought that homeowners would cover my ATVs until I read an article in Dirtwheels a few months back. I called my agent and found that they are not covered because they are motorized vehicles. They conveniently offer an additional policy and I chose not to get it. I did find that Progressive offers the best rates, but I now have mine locked in the garage with the Kryptonite locks and cables.

Bottom line is that chains, cables, locks, etc. are a deterrent, but insurance is the only way to be protected from loss.

Old 02-10-2001, 12:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I drilled a 4 foot hole into my garage floor and put a big eye hook and recemented it back into place. All 3 of my bikes are chained individually and then 1 big chain through all of them. I also put a padlock on the inside of the garage door. I know this is going to far but I have a camera in the garage the hooks up to a vcr in my basement. Any movement in my garage and its on tape!

Old 02-10-2001, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Just thought you might like to know A couple of you said you use master locks They are a joke They have a brass cylinder and I can open one with a cordless drill about as fast as you can with a key

Old 02-10-2001, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

A couple things.

99% of homeowners insurance won't cover a motorized vehicle, it needs its own policy.

I insure my 2000 Kodiak for $148 a year. Pretty cheap considering it cost $5800. I would be mad if it got ripped, but it would be replaced.

Master locks are a joke, you'd be better off tying a couple granny knots in a shoelace around your quad.

Home Depot has some nice Kryptonite locks/cables dirt cheap. I got a nice lock and 7' cable for $20, the local cycle dealership wanted $60 for the identicle setup.

Old 02-10-2001, 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

i put mine out in the street running

Old 02-11-2001, 12:00 AM
Trailblazer

The fact is any type of protection is better than none. A theif just wants to get in and out so would he spend time to cut off yuor lock or just go down the sreet and rip off a quad that isnt locked up. So anytype of lcoking mechanism is better than none.Me myself live in the middle of nowhere with a VERY steep driveway, plenty of guuns, and two big black dogs.It has been good enough so far!

Old 02-11-2001, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

I have one good idea. I don't use it personally (my shee sits in the garage, with keys on it, no lock...nothing)...anyway, here's the idea.
Store your machine on the ceiling. No joke. Get a boat trailer winch to bring it up to the ceiling, and lock it up there (with I don't know what bolted to the ceiling), and take your winch away. I'd put it upside down...that would impress the thief, and he might get discouraged easily (it's harder to work on the ceiling).

Old 02-12-2001, 01:25 AM
Trailblazer

Insurance, first of all--not that expensive, and I found that homeowners does not cover the quad even if in the garage. Thanks to everyone about the info on locks, I usually lock my ramps to the underside of my truck--I think I'll get a better lock now. It's sad that we have to go through all this to protect our rides.

Old 02-12-2001, 02:48 AM
Pro Rider

This is just an idea....
A 2 inch OD pipe about 2.5ft long anchored to the ground preferably cemented) with a SHORT chain or cable, covered in rubber, wraped around it and the bikes frame, so that the bar is in a 50/50 grind position about 1-2 inches below the bike. Use lock of choice. Electrify with a fencer located inside of your home and underground wiring. The fencer should be set with a 240v setting. The close quarters should prevent any sort of large equipment from easily cutting the bar/chain. And if they touch it... Well you get the idea. Note that the chain/cable has rubber on it so that the bike is not charged. It may even be possible that the electrical charge would fry any sort of power saws.. Well, if you try it its your own risks and all so.. Just dont ZAP yourself!

Old 02-12-2001, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer

I keep mine in a locked garage. I also have a 105lb puppy (who should hit 130 by summer) that barks like a cannon firing any time someone gets near my house. We live in a really low crime area, so we don't have much to worry about. It has progressive insurance (homeowners won't cover it unless you use it for lawnmowing)

Nobody talked much about trailering! I keep mine locked to the trailer frame through the quad frame using a cable, the trailer is locked to the hitch, and the hitch is locked to the truck. When I am out on the road, I want someone to have to spend a lot of TIME trying to get it. As was discussed, if you give somebody 15 minutes, there is little that would stop them from taking it anyway.