Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How does jetting work on a 4 stroke?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 01:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does jetting work on a 4 stroke?

My 87 warriors air filterbox is crap i thought about taking it off and straping the air filter to the back of the carb. Do you have to change the jets in the carb on a 4 stroke when you do something like that? or add a new muffler?

When i had a 2 stroke and added anything you would have to use a differant jet in the carb so it wouldnt run to lean.

How do you even know if a 4 stoke is runing lean? on a 2 stroke you just look at the spark plugs color.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:53 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

Four strokes are exactly the same way, and I would highly recommend against you doing that. The Filter Box is there for a reason. It keeps water out of the engine and is a stable mount between the air filter and carb since it bolts to the frame. You are going to get water and all kinds of crap in your engine if you do that and are much better off to replace the box if its in that kind of shape.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:42 PM
Trailblazer
Smile

Originally Posted by Chris82
My 87 warriors air filterbox is crap i thought about taking it off and straping the air filter to the back of the carb. Do you have to change the jets in the carb on a 4 stroke when you do something like that? or add a new muffler?

When i had a 2 stroke and added anything you would have to use a differant jet in the carb so it wouldnt run to lean.

How do you even know if a 4 stoke is runing lean? on a 2 stroke you just look at the spark plugs color.
I have run a k&n filter on the carb on every bike I've owned, but I don't go through water more then knee deep, and mainly in the dunes. So if you do more then that stick with the air box

Old 04-12-2009, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

if you did something like that most likely you will have to step a size up on the main or something, if you dont do any trail riding in mud, water or ride in the rain then it would be ok if you did it right, other wise just keep the airbox and at least get a k&n or uni kit that comes with the billet adapter,filter and outwear that way it will be a direct fit. k&n is the best for power and is great if you dont ride in very nasty conditions other wise i would reccomend a nice oiled foam filter like uni or twin air. heres a pic of a good filter kit and what it looks like installed.

Name:  G_25463G_SW_3.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  7.2 KB

Name:  filter1.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  37.2 KB

Old 04-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for that info but do you check the spark plug in a 4 stroke to see if its runing lean?

Does anyone have a pic of the air filter box with the lid off? Mine really has nothing there to hold the filter in place.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Chris82
thanks for that info but do you check the spark plug in a 4 stroke to see if its runing lean?

Does anyone have a pic of the air filter box with the lid off? Mine really has nothing there to hold the filter in place.
yes you can check the plug on these just like 2 strokes to find out if its lean or rich, the airbox design is horrible it just sits in the box and the lid pushes down on it and sort of holds it there but its still not a direct fit, thats why most people get the kit above and does it like that, then you can run it with the lid off and tune the carb to run a little fatter and get it to make a lil more power, on mine i usually leave the lid off but i have 2 different lids, one is stock lid and will seal my box up completely and the other has about 4 big holes in it, so depending on where im riding i might put one of those lids on to change the way it runs.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:30 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by 91Warrior357
if you did something like that most likely you will have to step a size up on the main or something, if you dont do any trail riding in mud, water or ride in the rain then it would be ok if you did it right, other wise just keep the airbox and at least get a k&n or uni kit that comes with the billet adapter,filter and outwear that way it will be a direct fit. k&n is the best for power and is great if you dont ride in very nasty conditions other wise i would reccomend a nice oiled foam filter like uni or twin air. heres a pic of a good filter kit and what it looks like installed.

Where did you buy this K&N kit? Did you have to rejet after installing it?

Old 04-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

i got the k&n from a yamaha suzuki dealer, i get discounts there so thats main reason why i didnt just get one off the internet but theres alot of other stores where you can get them, denniskirk.com
rockmountainatvmc.com
bikebandit.com
motosport.com
alot of ebay stores sell them

and yea i rejeted after getting it because its also setup to run with the lid off, if you just get a filter and keep your lid on and you dont get a pipe with it then you shouldnt have to rejet, but sometimes its best to.