Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 03:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warrior transmission

I have a time getting my warrior into netural, i know this is a common problem but its really bad it also does not want to shift into a higher gear when you have it full throttle its almost like it slips out of gear if you full throttle when going around a turn as well.

What do you think is wrong with the transmission? If i took it apart would i see the wore out gear? I did notice that the previous owner did not use the cluth when switching gears when the atv was off.

overall its hard to change gears at any time.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider
Loves To Ride!

First place to start would be the clutch, of course. Make sure it is adjusted properly and not worn out. After that, I would check out the shift forks etc before getting really far into it. I haven't had to mess with my tranny so hopefully one of the other guys on here can chime in with some specifics on the shift forks and what not.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would like to get it fixed, i really dont want to take it to the local dealer. Would cost me so much more.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer

and always make sure the rev lever is all the way in fwd all the way because it seams to pop out of gear but really its in between rev and fwd just a thought

Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

can't help with the popping out of gear other than to say that i have just started to notice mine seems to somehow get into a "false" neutral in higher gears
sometimes when i switch to a higher gear let out clutch and gas it, it will be in neutral but if i shift it again it will go
this has happened only a couple times so i haven't had a chance to tell what the circumstances are that lead to this "false" neutral

about you having problems shifting to neutral
i have the same thing
seems the easiest way for me to get neutral is when the quad is off
when it's off it's really easy to hit neutral

you said previous owner did not use the clutch when switching gears when the atv was off
i do the same thing, is that not good?
should i use clutch to shift while the quad is not running?

Old 04-21-2009, 08:42 AM
Range Rover

Mine slips into like a "false" neutral sometimes too but I think it is just because I am running through the gears pretty hard and don't get it shifted up hard enough.

I don't know what to tell you about the neutral issue. I have that issue to but it is not very bad just every once in a while. I think beefy is right though, check your clutch adjustment and shift forks.

As for shifting w/o the clutch when the engine is not running that is not a problem. If the engine is not running then nothing is turning. If there is nothing turning then there is nothing to jam or grind or wear out. It doesn't hurt anything to shift the transmission without the clutch engaged while the engine off. Now shifting without the clutch when the engine is running is pretty hard on it.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I dont know i always thought its best to use the clutch even when a atv is off.

I can find netrual better when the warrior is moving for some strang reasion.