Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

ATV Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2001, 06:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where can I buy paint for my fenders and my frame and engine? I am going to paint my fenders yellow and my gas-tank balck. I also need silver for my frame.

Old 02-16-2001, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

Id go to the local hardware store or walmart and see what they have. You'll need some type of rubber based paint for the fenders or it will chip right off, and high temp paint for the engine or you'll make a mess. For the frame any paint will do, I suggest doing ALOT of thin layers, the more time you spend the better it will look Also, for the black tank Id just buy some new plastic, I think any type of paint will be messed up if you spill gas on it.?

Old 02-16-2001, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure what paint is best, but you may want to make sure it is resistant to oil and fuel. The previous owner of my warrior painted it with some common off the shelf paint. Problem is, when you spill gas (and you will spill gas) it will cause streaks in the finish of the paint.

Old 02-17-2001, 02:16 AM
Trailblazer

I just completed my warrior, I stripped it down to the frame and used self etching primer (this primer will stick to anything and you dont have to sand or sand blast your frame) and then painted it. On my plastic I sprayed it with an adhesive promotor, then I painted it with Harlequin. You may have heard of the paint. Jeff Gordon used it on his car for a race. It changes colors depending on how you look at it. It turned out really good. Luckly my sponsor has a auto body shop and he painted it all. the paint I am talking about will have to be applied by someone that can paint with a gun. But you can buy the primer and adhesive promotor and the paint you want at any auto store like Napa or something like that. Just anywhere that sells automotive paint. Its not what kinda paint you use its what kind of primer or promotor you use to get the paint to stick to the plastic. Hope this helps.

Old 02-17-2001, 02:30 PM
Range Rover

First of all...... Etch primer is for BARE steel/aluminum/or galvanized METAL! Its is NOT designed to go over plastic or paint.... the fact that you didnt sand the paint or powdercoat that on your frame is nuts, It WILL chip and scratch off easily. The only paint that will work well is paint that is sprayed w/ a spray gun. Spray paint, or primer in a rattle can will NOT hold up well either. The only paint you can get in a spray can is either enamel or lacquer. Both are britle paints that are very susceptible to staining from solvents like brake fluid, race fuel and cleaners.
I have been in the automotive paints industry for close to 24 years. I have tested and used many different paint line and products. Single Stage urethanes work best for this application and have great hold out against fading, chipping and chemical resistance. Painting plastics is a tough process to do and do right. If anyone wants info on painting plastics do a search for it in these forums and look for a post I did... it is detailed right down to part numbers as to what to use, and how to do it the right way. Click on the link in my signature and you can see my plastic that was painted almost 3 years ago... I have rolled it and knocked trees down with it... not a chip or a mark in it.

walter

Old 02-17-2001, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

hehe spray paint.. that wouldnt survive anything. and you must sand your paint to give the paint something to grab to. also when your using automotive paint make sure to stick with the same brand. B370 gave great info and like he said etching primor is for bare metal.
if i cant get someone local to powder coat im thinking of doing base coat clear. does anyone know if this would be strong enough for a frame?

Old 02-17-2001, 10:52 PM
Trailblazer

First of all Walter,the self etching primer wasn't for the plastic it was for the frame. And second of all this is the 3rd bike I have done in the last 6 years, and none of them have had any chips. A few nicks and scratches is it. And I don't care how careful you are your paint is going to scratch and stuff. And if it dont its cause you dont ride. The third thing your tough process isnt so tough, all you have to do is a little wet sanding on the plastic to remove the dirt and wax that is on it then, spray the plastic with adhesive promotor, then spay your paint, and then your clear. And as for the frame goes, remove he dirt and stuff off of it. Shoot it with the self etching primer, and your paint and clear. Neither of these are hard procedures, and I can a sure you they do work. the first bike we done like this 6 years ago is still holding up. It is a lot like spraying the black bumpers on cars. Its basically the same thing. So everyone just dont let these guys take advantage of you when you try to get this done, its not a tough process at all. I am sure if you know anyone the knows just a little about painting with a spray gun then they can shoot you plastic and frame the hardest part about it is taking it all apart. I hope this helps and hope you dont fall for the whole well its really tough process and all that junk. If you have any questions then email me and I will be glad to give you some steps on how to do it.

Old 02-18-2001, 07:17 PM
Range Rover

Yamracer:
Get a good look at the label or tech sheets for that etch primer you used.. There is NOT an etch primer on the market that is designed to go over paint or powdercoating(what the factory uses on there frames)so your recommendations to use an etch primer over paint that has just been cleaned and not even sanded has to be the worst idea that I have ever heard of. You have no mechanical or chemical adhesion to the substrate. There are acids in the etch primer that need to bond to bare metal.... how can it if there is paint under it?

As for painting the plastic... you say its just like painting bumpers on cars... Can you tell me the kind of plastic that is used on cars? TPO? PE? UR? and then can you tell me what kind of plastic the atv manufacturers use? Each type of plastic has its own characteristics and procedures to refinish. So what will work on TPO will not work on PE or UR. There are more grades of plastic but thats the most commonly used on autos. SO tell me what kind of plastic is used on quads? Also what do you use to remove and clean the release agents that are used on and mixed in to the plastic on a quad?
The whole point of my post was to inform everyone that while this process may be easy for some it may not be for others. I have tested many systems for painting plastic, while some work most do not.
So take it for what it is..... I know what works and what does not.. Good luck

Old 02-21-2001, 07:19 AM
Range Rover

I had almost forgot... I wanted to mention to yamaracer... all of those automotive bumpers that you say are easy to paint... 95% of them come primed from the factory now, only 50% of the aftermarket bumpers come in raw plastic. So how hard is it to paint a preprimed part?
btw; did you figure out what PE? UR and TPO is yet?

walter