Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster for my 11 year old son?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kingquad400
Get the blaster. If you get a smaller quad he will outgrow it fast. A stock blaster is fast but would never keep up with 450s like u mentioned. A 250 honda will beat a 200 blaster so if ur looking for a quad that isnt as fast dont get one with more cc's.....
there not quite that slow...a blaster is a tad bit slower then a stock 350 warrior, and a warrior will smoke a 250ex along with the blaster, i have actually dragged a stock blaster vs a 250ex i was a much better rider on the 250ex then my cousin on the blaster but the 250 was just a little too mellow to keep up, i mean it didnt get smoked but the blaster just slowly pulled away from me every single time, and when i test rode the blaster it just was a little peppier and would get going alot quicker.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:22 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 91Warrior357
i think he would be fine, stock blasters are very tame, there a little peppy but nothing he shouldnt be able to handle and grow into, nice lightweight dependable bikes, then again a 250X or ex would be a nice choice also
i agree with warrior..an 11-year-old can handle that machine.

Old 06-15-2009, 03:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

What model year are you thinking about getting? I believe that they had drum brakes, until yamaha upgraded to discs in '03. In any case, I know that the blasters are fun, but they can be a handful and a little quirky being an air cooled two stroke. I opted to go the four stroke route for my ten year old. I got him a 250 ozark. It's plenty powerful for him and does well on the trails. I just don't like the characteristics of two strokes for newer riders and believe that the fourstrokes make for a more confident and enjoyable ride.

Of course, the type of riding that you plan on doing with the bike plays a role in what bike you should choose.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:32 AM
Trailblazer

With everybody opinions i am leaning towards a stock blaster. if they aren't to fast. I will have to test drive one.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I've had a blaster and I have a 300ex, Kymco Mongoose, LT230E, and 250R.
Between the poor suspension and the less than adequate brakes, the blaster had to go.
The 300ex has been a wonderful machine and wrench free.
There are so many other options now days.
ie: the 250ex, Ozark/Z250/LT230, Kymco Mongoose (I'd buy this machine if I couldn't find a 300ex), and others.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 300ex

i'd go with the 300ex. im getting one sometime this week and they seem way better. from what i've heard they have great suspension and are comfortable. also they have reverse and electric start. the blasters are also 2 stroke which means that there more suseptable to blowing up or breaking down.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:06 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TrailRacer94
the blasters are also 2 stroke which means that there more suseptable to blowing up or breaking down.
That's funny! Is that why everything's going to 4 stroke! LOL! Wait til you have your 4 stroke in the shop.....it will cost you waaayyyy more $$$$$!

Old 06-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by firehog
That's funny! Is that why everything's going to 4 stroke! LOL! Wait til you have your 4 stroke in the shop.....it will cost you waaayyyy more $$$$$!
lol id rather have 2 2stokes blow up then 1 4 stroke, alotta people think 2 strokes arent reliable...WRONG lol, there a more simple engine, and with care like everything else they last a long time as well...

Old 06-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

Agreed! They won't last as long as a four stroke even with the best of care, but I'll bet you could rebuild them 4 times to one four stroke! Don't get me wrong, I like them both. Nothing hits like a 2 stroke....and the smell....mmmmmm.....just love it! But the 4 strokes have that torque I use the most for riding in my area.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer
Default DEF go with the stock Blaster...

I can't believe people on here are suggesting Warriors / Raptors instead of a stock Blaster... I'm not about to lecture you on parenting, BUT THIS IS AN 11-YEAR OLD WE'RE TALKING ABOUT!!!

Comparing a stock Blaster to a Warrior or Raptor is like comparing a .22 rifle to an AR-15. If you're worried about your son's ability to control the machine, which I get the impression is one of your concerns, that's even MORE reason to get a stock Blaster instead of a Warrior or Raptor. It's a much much lighter quad that certainly won't require as much strength and/or physical "size" to be able to control. I've owned BOTH of these machines (a Blaster AND a Warrior) and I'm not the biggest guy (5'7", 140) so trust me, I KNOW.

Not to mention, the stock Blaster is a very easy machine to work on. A simply-designed two-stroke that can be torn down and rebuilt in a few hours. If you're interested in teaching your son about the MECHANICS of his machine, and not just the sport of riding, then again, a Blaster is your best bet.

Best of luck and please, BE CAREFUL. I'm sure I'll catch heat for my "conservative" opinion here, but I think 11 is just a little too young.

-Mike

Quick Reply: Blaster for my 11 year old son?