Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Bear or Rancher?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2001, 09:58 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The back brakes on the Big Bear 400 are sealed drum, just like the Rancher has on both ends. Drum brakes are notorious for wearing out quickly and for getting hot and fading. I would suspect the Rancher will wear out brakes just as fast in the back, and much faster in the front. Front brakes do most of the stopping anyway. I usually only use back brakes to assist if I need to stop in a hurry or if I am going down a hill and need to slow down I'll use back alone. Otherwise, I use just use the fronts. You can put aftermarket shoes on the back and they will last longer than stock, or so I've read. I have't had mine long enough to wear out any brakes yet. But the disk brakes in the front are a big improvement if you ride in water much.
Kman

Old 02-23-2001, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I went back to the Yamaha dealer today in Mobile,and the BB was $4,599+tax,doc,freight fees. That's over $5,000 for everything!! I told him I could get one in Hattiesburg,MS for $3,999 out the door with $200 in free accessories,$200 for a 2 yr ext. warranty,or a winch. He said that they'll tack on other charges to jack up the price,but his own prices were "real". Really high,i'm thinking. I told him I had ridden the Rancher,and loved it,but i really needed to ride a BB to make up my mind,and he says if a customer brings thiers in to get a oil change or something,i could ride it. Remind me never to have my quad serviced at a dealerships who give free rides on it!! This place is crazy. It is the only Yamaha dealership within 50 miles,but if i can save $1,000 by going 50-75 miles,i will. I might just buy from Lake Hill Motors......both the BB400 and the Rancher 350S are $3,999 no taxes. If you buy a Yamaha warranty from one dealer,can you take it to have warranty repairs done at another dealer? Just wondering since i might be buying from so far away.

Old 02-24-2001, 11:22 AM
Trailblazer

Dang, $4599 is exactly what I paid for my 2001 4x4 Big Bear a few months ago at Hattiesburg cycles, with a free Warn A2000 winch installed. (don't know if the winch promotion is still going or not) Man, drive to Hattiesburg. Talk to John, that is who I bought mine from, or Larry, the owner. They will go out of their way to accomodate you, even after the sale. They have a huge showroom and have test demos setting outside with a small dirt track for you to test ride. Your local dealer is full of it. They didn't add one penny to mine. Didn't collect taxes because I was not from MS. No frieght, no setup, nothing. I paid exactly $4599 out the door. I can't believe that guy wouldn't let you test ride one of his bikes.
Yes, the warranty must be honored by any Yamaha dealer, although the local guy may not be to happy about it and may be slow about fixing it. Hattiesburg isn't much more than an hour from you is it? You could always just take it back there. Lake Hill in Corinth is a long way to drive, it is in the very northeast corner of MS, right on the TN and AL lines. Of course, I drove almost 3 hours to go to Hattiesburg!
While you're there, ride one of the 4x4's. For only $600 more, you may decide it's worth it.
Good luck, whatever you choose.
Kman

Old 02-24-2001, 12:42 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think I will go to Hattiesburg if I decide to get a Big Bear.Too bad they don't sell Honda's so I could ride one,then get on the other and then buy one from them.The reason i mentioned Lake Hills is because they sell both at the same prices,$3,999 OTD. I would really love to have a 4wd,but it seems like I have never really needed it(except for a few times),because my driving style is mainly on the sportier side,but a true sport quad wouldn't get the job done and are too finicky.I know if i could get a 4wd,I would have to have a 2wd/4wd option because i like to do donuts,wheelies,and wide tail-outs.I know i could get the Un-Locker,but that's even more money.I did check out the Kodiak 4wd while i was at the Yamaha shop. I really liked it,but i prefer shifting.I'm really trying to get as much info as I can,but this has got to be one of the hardest descisions in my life.

Old 02-26-2001, 02:23 PM
Trailblazer

Did you ever decide?

Kman

Old 02-26-2001, 03:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Actually,i rode both of them yesterday. We went mud/trail riding on an 00 BB 4x4,00 RancherS 2x4,and 00 Blaster. I really wanted to compare both in 2wd's,but when i was offered the chance,i jumped at it. I rode the BB most of the day carrying a 270 lb person (not me!),so i couldn't really tell the power most of the day,because it was pulling so much weight.I liked 4wd,it was my first time riding on one,but my arms are so sore! I don't know if it's from the BB or the Blaster,because both were hard to steer. Anyways,i like having the confidence of going through almost anything,but not having the ability to slide sideways and play on the muddy road. The front end had a whining sound. Normal? We drag raced the BB and the Rancher with fat people on back of both.(they wouldn't get off!!...lol) The BB 4wd slowly pulled away. I had it stuck one time by a creek in gooey,sloppy Alabama red clay up to the headlights...that free winch comes in handy...LOL. Anyways,the shifter,seat,and everything else felt nice. At the end of the day though,i got on the Rancher(my first time all day long).The seat was so comfortable,not as much power,but it was such a relief to get on that machine. My back was hurting after riding the BB,but that can be blamed on the big people on the back.The BB already had the mud flap on the frt fender broken and flapping when we got it,but at the end of the day,the rear fender where the plastic attaches to the foot pegs was broken. That shot the Yama down a notch. The Rancher had no problems all day other than getting stuck,so i'm leaning more towards the Rancher now.Maybe even in 4wd...if the Un-Locker isnt too much. By the way,it was my first time "group riding" in about 6 yrs and i'm sore as hell,but it was worth it. It was the most fun i've had in a long,long time. In a perfect world,i would own a 4wd,2wd utlity,and a 4-stroke sport....2 strokes suck for trails.

Old 02-26-2001, 03:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

By the way,i didn't get a chance to test the Rancher in water,but the BB has excellent brakes,even when dunking it to the headlights.

Old 02-27-2001, 03:48 PM
Trailblazer

Riding in a group is the best way to compare machines. I have heard some complain about the plastic breaking on the Big Bear. In my circle of friends, only one has broken a fender, but flipped his bike over a log. Yes, the front end of most 4x4 quads will have a whining sound to it, expecially in the higher gears. I went riding last weekend, and I am sore today too. I always am if I ride all day after not riding much for a few weeks. The 4x4 does make steering a little harder than a 2x4, big people on back probably didn't help either, lol. You can adjust the suspension on the BB to level it back out, but that will give you a rougher ride. I don't think you will be unhappy with either one, just get whichever you like the best. Good luck.
Kman

Old 02-28-2001, 07:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Right now,ive pretty much made up my mind to go with the Rancher.I do need something strong because i treat my quads like crap(no waxing or armor-all for me )and i need something that will stand up to logs and jumps and sinking in water,etc... I know Honda's aren't bulletproof,but the way that BB was falling apart,and knowing i probably will treat it worse than they have has made me choose Honda.I just heard about a Blaster for $1,100. Maybe that will satisfy my cravings for now until i can get the Rancher.......