Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor float baffles

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2001 | 01:45 AM
|
Range Rover

I remember reading that Yamaha was going to put baffles in the float bowls on the Raptor to help with engine sputtering during wheelies and riding through whoops. I've been in my carburetors and there are no baffles in there. Have any of you guys who installed jets seen baffles? The exploded view of the carb in the service manual doesn't show any.

Old 02-23-2001 | 01:58 AM
Pro Rider

Check your float level! Mine was WAY too high. Causes flood-out over rough terrain and jumps. Adjusted mine and now do not have any of those problems. Try it, it works.

Old 02-23-2001 | 02:17 AM
|
Range Rover

Thanks Scottd,
I actually did lower them about 2 millimeters to get them to the 13mm setting the service manual specifies while I was installing the dynojet kit. I haven't rode it yet though. How far off were yours? I really hope I can get this fixed becase I was planning on practicing wheelies sitting on the bars, standing on the seat, etc. so I can do them on my R1. Thanks again.

Old 02-23-2001 | 09:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Scott, after reading your post and remembering the way my floats were resting yesterday, I believe mine are high also. Mine has the 13mm (.51in) at the back of the float, but in the front, I probably have about half that. Was it tough adjusting your float level? Thanks.

Old 02-23-2001 | 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

My floats were probably at about 7-8mm, or in other words, my fuel level was way high. I couldn't believe Yamaha would let them out like that. (or is it Mikuni's fault?) They are not that hard to adjust once you're in there. You just have to have a precise measuring tool. By the way, 13mm is almost exactly the same as 1/2". I am sure this was the bulk of my problem with the flooding out. I also now do not notice the great amount of fuel spilling out of the overflow tubes above the swingarm. So, our bikes are not starving for fuel, they're choking on too much of it!

Old 02-24-2001 | 02:51 PM
|
Range Rover

Those hoses on the bottom of the float bowl are not overflow hoses, they are actually drain hoses for draining the fuel out of the float bowls. Fuel would only come out of those hoses if the screws on the float bowl were loosened.

Old 02-25-2001 | 08:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Yambike...yeah, those drains serve as overflows as well. Before adjusting my floats, mine overflowed a bit all the time, primarily on off-cambers. I noticed this after leaving the overflow tubes off of the bottom of the carb. With the tubes on, the gas is going to the ground, so you would'nt notice this. Take the carb bowl off and blow thru the tube...even though the screw is tight...you can still blow thru it. Just tryin' to help.

Old 02-25-2001 | 01:51 PM
|
Range Rover

garyc660R, My carburetors are sitting right here next to me (I havn't had a chance to put them back on yet). I felt a little silly about it, but to give you the benefit of the doubt I tried your experement and blew into the carburetor DRAIN hoses(check the Yamaha carburetor diagram at Bash's web site) on the bottom of the float bowls. No air or fuel will pass through them if the screws are tight as they should be. If there is fuel comming out of your drain hoses you need to tighten those screws before they fall out. Let me offer you my own experement. With your machine not running, put it into gear grab the front bumper and tip it back until it is resting on the rear grab bar. Wait a minute then drop the machine back down. Remove your airbox lid. You will see a significant amount of fuel in the airbox. When I hang wheelies that is how high I get the front up and that is the fuel problem I am trying to fix. I appreciate you trying to help but if the information is not accurate it doesn't help. I need to get this gas taste out of my mouth!!!

Old 04-25-2003 | 07:04 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default Raptor float baffles

Yambike

heres an experiment

leave your fuel on, and stand your bike on it a$$

Old 04-25-2003 | 07:07 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default Raptor float baffles

Yambike, is that the only place fuel spills into,,,,the airbox? Does any fuel run out of one of the drain hoses near the swing arm?

when you stand the bike on its a$$

Quick Reply: Raptor float baffles