Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

'01 Warrior Won't Crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '01 Warrior Won't Crank

Just wondering if anyone out there might have any ideas as to why a warrior would intermittently not crank when the start button is pressed. It will however start if you bridge the relay with a wrench. I have done the following (in no particular order) trying to figure it out:

-Charge battery (<1yr old, Walmart special)
-Disassemble and clean handlebar control
-Replace starter relay
-Unplug and spray all connections w/ contact cleaner

Also, the bike has started to quit and exhibit this problem when it gets warmed up. Then it won't crank for a random amount of time, sometimes hours, sometimes days. Any ideas would be most appreciated. At this point I am thinking it may be the stator or CDI as according to the wiring diagram the start button runs through the CDI but I am hesitant to drop $150ea on CDI and stator for a bike that I paid $1250 for without more troubleshooting.

-Jace

Old 01-05-2010, 06:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

mine does the same thing but mine is a short i just turn the bars a little bit and you hear a click then she will fire but will not die.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

starter cut off relay. juice flows through it then goes to starter solenoid. and if the relay is getting weak it makes the solenoid jump and click like mad. you can test it by unpluggint and jumping blue/white wire with brown wire that is directly above it or below it(whichever) and then pushing the start button to see if it turns over.

Old 01-24-2010, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer

I had this problem with a warrior also... it was the stator on mine i would be riding and it would just quit try to start it nothing wait a few minutes start right up changed stator cured it maybe different on yours though if your planning on keeping it a while I would get a service manual you can test your electrical coponents with a multimeter the manual will tell you how and the specs or you might ask on hear which wires to test and the specs on the stator on another thread post stator testing or something keep us posted always curious may help someone else also hope this helps