Yammy noob or wannabe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yammy noob or wannabe?

All -

If I considered jumping in the Yamaha pool and come out with a Grizz. I wanted to know some vantage points of coming from my Sportsman to a Grizz? (As unbiased as possible, lol) I may just decide to keep my Sportsman for other uses and add to my toy list. Feel free to point me to an older thread if one exist.I am just a little tired of reading the vendor product descriptions and not having real live data from folks who have had both or ridden both etc.

What really is a Ultramatic transmission? How is On-Command different then On-demand? Is this terminology just semantics?

Thanks in advance for all the great info.!

Regards,

R'

Old 04-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Sorry a few more IF I may?

Any word yet on 2011 models? When does Yamaha typically release these new models before
end of year?

Most recommended places for price and service? I live in the MD-DC-VA area. Preferably a great dealership in MD side. Any better time to buy and what details would you all recommend? These things usually come with winches? Any upgrades time of purchase? Extended warrenties?

Thx,

R'

Old 04-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Say RW good to see someone doing the same thing as I and testing the waters of other quad MFG's. I myself (as you may now) went from a Sportsman to a Grizz and what I will say is this the Popo was a good quad that rode very well and did everything I asked of it as far as going where I wanted it to. But as with anything there is always two sides to a story and will tell you this. I cannot say how nice it is to have a quad that is as reliable, lightweight, and just pure out fun to ride as the Grizz has been, does it have faults sure it does but the good points far outweigh the bad ones, IMHO the Grizz is the most complete 4x4 made! There is not one bad thing that the Grizz wont/cant do! You would like specifics I could list them all day but this is my opinion and I will leave it at that!

As far as your questions a Ulramatic transmission is like any other belt driven tranny tho Yamaha calls them Ultramatic whether it be in a ATV or a Sled. Yamaha has uses a concentric tensioner in the trans that keeps the belt tight 100% of the time without any slack thus giving very long belt life. Read any mag/forum and you will see that Yamaha builds the best transmission out there hands down with it's 4 wheel engine braking its near perfect calibration/action make it a perfect mix of everything! There are more than a few accounts of belt lasting the life of the quad!

On command vs on demand well they ar both great systems and both work well but the Yamaha system is just like it says on command you comand it as to when YOU want in 4x4 mode not the quad. There are no roller cages to break it pretty much like you old 70's pickup truck system that is as reliable as they come. You have 2wd, 4wd and 4wd front diff lock that is engaged when you tell it to be. In about 90% of situations standard 3wd will get you through most things.

IMG_1845.jpg?t=1272595397

As far as new models they are Yamaha is just like anyone else and will release info in July with quads following in late Aug early Sep! Yamaha is like most Japaniese MFGs and since the Grizz is the #1 selling full size 4x4 in the world they wont fix what is not broke, tho the will update little things here and there! I would love to have Grizz 2up but am not holding my breath for one LOL.

All in all IMO the Grizz is about as perfect of a 4x4 as they come! The thing I hated most about the Grizz is the crappy stock tires from the Factory the thing I like best is that it has nearly perfectly thought out and executed from the factory!

P.S. I will say this in comparison t o just about any POPO out there I can stay on the trail twice as long to to MUCH better MPG!@ That is a fact!

If you want more info from other Grizz rider feel free to check out http://grizzlyriders.com as there are plenty of Grizz riders out there. Research the site you will be hard pressed to fine any negative comments on ANY of Grizz machines made!

Happy trails!
D57H

Old 04-30-2010, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Dodge57Hemi's comments mirror pretty much everything I've read or heard about the Grizzly 700s and 550s. The guys I've met who ride 'em love 'em. I also would consider buying one if they had a 2-up machine with the kind of storage and fuel tank size the X2 has. I wouldn't hesitate in buying one from what I've heard. A friend offered me a ride on his machine and he would take mine for awhile. I said, "No, I might like it too much and I don't have the money for a new machine."

Old 04-30-2010, 08:46 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I ride a Grizzly many times,there nice ATV you will feel the lighter weight, the down side is AWD(diff lock) is a stop engage process and a Single cylinder,is not as smooth as a twin and you will feel a power decrease from your 800.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

I forgot to mention I did test drive the 500 when it came out, at a ATV/snowmobile show. Pretty impressive. I felt it didn't have as much side to side stability as a Sportsman or quite as nice a ride. But, it was very close. Very nice machine overall.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Moose were you talking about a 550? And yes they are a little more tippy side to side than a Sportsman but when ridden aggressively this helps with the quad feeling more nimble and lightweight. P.S. RR if you do get one do yourself a favor and do opt for the Power Steering as it's a pure joy to have and ride!

Old 04-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Yeah, it was the 550. On another day I rode behind a guy we call Nitro Bob. He had a Grizzly 700 with the EPS. He went fast enough that I was concerned for his health. I kept with him pretty good but was getting tired so I backed off. He didn't seem to tired with the EPS. I need as much excercise as I can get. I'll stay with the armstrong steering for awhile.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Pro Rider
Runs Stealth!

Okay time for talking is now over, lol. Now is the time to try a demo ride.

Anyone know of a good Yamaha dealership that does demo rides in the
Maryland, DC, VA, WVA, PA area? I will travel 2hours in any direction but
thats about it.

Thanks,

R'

Old 05-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Sorry I'm just a few miles from that side of the country!

Quick Reply: Yammy noob or wannabe?