Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

05 Kodiak 400 dies when trying to go in gear

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 01:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Kodiak 400 dies when trying to go in gear

I bought a used Kodiak 400 a couple months back. At first, I was able to get on it and drive around for about 15-20 minutes with no problems. Then, the machine would idle down and shut-off if I didn't keep the throttle in it a little. Once it idled down and shut-off, it would fire right back, but when I tried to go into reverse or fwd, it would die immediately and not go. I could fire it back up, throttle revs just fine, but no go fwd or reverse. I would have to leave it an hour or so and could come back and start it and go for another 15-20 minutes.
Now, it will only start. It dies as soon as I try to move into a gear. I checked the valves, cleaned the carborator, and changed the plug (it was shot), but I have no idea why it won't go into gear without dying. Any suggestions?

Old 02-09-2020, 09:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you ever find out the cause? Mine is doing the exact same thing

Old 02-11-2020, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default I did find the fix

The fix for my machine came when the mechanic pulled out the gears in the transmission and figured out someone had put one of the pieces in backwards. In his manual it told that one piece had an arrow or something on it and it was the last thing he found he could check. When he pulled it out and looked, sure enough someone had put it back in incorrectly (backwards). Once he flipped it around and reassembled, it has worked flawlessly for years now.

Old 02-12-2020, 03:19 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 344 Likes on 335 Posts

I thought I would see if doesdays68 came back before answering. It looks like someone has fitted the one way clutch backwards, or a centrifugal clutch spring has got weak or broken. Both are unusual, though someone else on here had the one way clutch problem a week or two ago. Engine off, push the bike backwards in forward gear, it should roll reasonably easily. Then push it forwards, it should be very resistant. If it is the opposite, someone has fitted that one way clutch backwards.