Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blue Raptor 1. Honda Civic 0

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2001, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A little off the subject here but I gotta tell it. Last night I dropped ot our local drag racing spot, only this time I didnt have my Mustang because I had my Raptor in the back of my truck.Anyhow, there were some Import enthusiasts talkin smack about how bad one of the Civics was, and how it had just broke into the 14s (big deal)One of my loudmouth friends walked down there and ended up getting me a race with the Civic. We lined up at the usual starting point, and had one of my friends to flag us.Man, it was almost sad, I had the Civic by about 3 car lengths by the time i had hit 3rd gear. At the end of the quarter mile I had him by about 6 car lengths.When I got back to the parkway a lot of the guys there thought I had put a streetbike engine in a 4-wheeler or that i had the blue bottle on it or something. Anyhow, have faith that If you own a Raptor with exhaust and a few other mods, you can stomp a mudhole in a 14 second car.

Old 03-04-2001, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

way cool man, way cool

Chasman
01 blk/wht raptor

Old 03-04-2001, 01:15 AM
Range Rover

LOL! That cracks me up. I'd pay $$ to see a video of that! What did the guys with the civic have to say??

Old 03-04-2001, 06:55 AM
Range Rover

Thats good man, and people pay thousands of dollars to say my cars fast, and then here you come and smoke em on a slightly moded quad, thats clasic.

Old 03-04-2001, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

FAAAAAAST Raptor, man!

If you were standing stock still at the starting line, and a Polaris Scrambler passed you at 60 mph, if you started down the strip at that moment, you'd PASS the Scrambler before he got to the finish line!

Congratulations on a Raptor turning a sub-15 second quarter-mile from a standing start. Fantastic!

Diogenes

P.S. Forgot to ask: How fast is your Mustang? Too bad you live in Shreveport, ID, instead of Shreveport, LA; Red River Dragstrip in LA would feature your Raptor and print some frameable timing slips for you.

Old 03-04-2001, 11:56 AM
Pro Rider

Just curious what your speed 1/8 mile & final speed was. Being that a Raptor does like 75 mph the numbers just don't work out to beat a 14 second car....
Just wondering how you did that's all.

Old 03-04-2001, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

I have taken my Raptor to the dragstrip after i did all the mods and it turns a 14.82 at 82.1 mph with a 1.94 60ft time. When it was stock it only ran a 15.7 at 75 mph. my eighth mile mph was 63 mph at 7.9 sec. Dont get me wrong, the Civic was barely in the 14s. But if you know anything about how a 4-wheeler compares to a car then you know that a strong 4-wheeler has one he11 of a holeshot.Im sure that if we had gone another quarter mile that he would have come by me like crazy. I know this is not a relative comparison, but theexpression on his face was priceless. It is kinda like the way a top fuel dragster runs, they run about 318 mph in the quarter mile but they get up to 268 mph in the first eighth mile. They dont gain a lot of mph on the top end, all thier quickness lies in a strong holeshot.

Old 03-04-2001, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider

No 2 strokes,
OK, I see. Don't you top out way ahead of 1/4 mile though? That is a heck of a long way to hold a quad "open" ! The numbers would seem to work out that he'd catch you and pass you. I guess not... 80+ is pretty fast. What mods did you need to go that fast? It's just most quad races are 200-300 ft. I can't imagine going 1320 ft !

I remember when my brother first bought is Sport 400L 3 years ago. (I never thought of a Polaris as being fast...then) Anyway he stopped me on the road one day after I'd changed the oil in my mom's old Neon. He wanted to race. I thought what the heck, it would be fun. Needless to say from 0-65 I got a whoppin! The look on my face was probably similar to the one of the Civic owners
I'm not trying to doubt you, just trying to work out the numbers in my head & make sense of them.
c-ya,

Old 03-04-2001, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, it is pretty much topped out a little past the eighth mile. As far as holding a quad wide open for a long time, thats nothing, I held my 400 ex at full throttle for about 4 miles, and about 2 miles with my Banshee. People dont give quad engines enough credit, they are VERY tough.Remember about a year agon in Dirt wheels they tested a Honda Foreman and held it at full throttle for over 50 miles and it never failed. Anyhow, I hit 5th gear just a short distance after the eighth mile on the Raptor. It has full BG exhaust, Pro Design filter and a 14 tooth front. And it did this with a 200lb rider on it

Old 03-04-2001, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

That is a misprint, I live in Shreveport La, and the strip I went to was Red River. Cool that you know it. I have not been back there since they opened back up with all the rain we have been having. You know Clyde Fant Parkway, that is where I am talking about, what do you drive? I had a 93 Stang, but sold it about 2 months ago. It wasnt all that fast, just had the little stuff done to it, fastest it went was a 13.3 at 101 mph, and that was at Hallsville in texas (im sure u know of it)

Quick Reply: Blue Raptor 1. Honda Civic 0