Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Difference in spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 08:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference in spark plugs?

I run a BR8ES (the 'R' is a personal preference) in my 02 Blaster, which is the spark plug called for in the service manual. I've heard that a B7ES will run hotter. Is that bad for the engine? What does the terms hotter and cooler mean in terms of spark plug. And since I mostly hillclimb, and ride it hard what kind of spark plug would be best, a hotter or a cooler one? Please give the name of the spark plug (B8ES,B7ES,B9ES etc.etc.)

Old 07-20-2010, 08:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Also, my spark plugs, when I take them out, have been kind of oily. I don't have the money to replace a top end, Is anything broken?

Old 07-20-2010, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Hotter plug is the lower number means sparks is hotter and will make head temperture go up and burn hotter,, colder plug would be higher number in this field. the temp. of head will be lower.. if you ride hard and in hot weather than cooler plug would be better IMO..B9ES but may foul quicker.. what type oil are you using cheap or top of the line? what ratio are you mixing? is your silencer packing clogged up and dripping oil out of tip?

Old 07-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
Hotter plug is the lower number means sparks is hotter and will make head temperture go up and burn hotter,, colder plug would be higher number in this field. the temp. of head will be lower.. if you ride hard and in hot weather than cooler plug would be better IMO..B9ES but may foul quicker.. what type oil are you using cheap or top of the line? what ratio are you mixing? is your silencer packing clogged up and dripping oil out of tip?
im using klotz R-50 premix oil, and i let the oil injector do my mixing for me. and i dont have a silencer on it, its a stock blaster.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock motor will likely do best on the stock recommended plug. When my son was just starting out, I put a hotter plug in his mini because he wasn't going very fast and kept fouling plugs. Yamaha has 20+ years of Blaster production, they know which plug to use.

Old 07-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

Does your oil says it is for injected oil or just premix only...Yes Scooter86 yamaha has been making products for an lomg time...The question was what was the differance between the hotter and colder plug, and i answered it the best I could. I always use recommended plug for stock engines. His atv may need carb tuning or exhaust cleaned up...just try to answer questions and help....

Old 07-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Pro Rider

The "R" means resistor. It eliminates any static on electrical devices. The "ES" is the type of elctrode and was brought out by NGK for the Yamaha snowmobiles to help eliminate plug fouling.
If you are not fouling plugs, I would stay with what you are using.
Don't use a hotter plug to try and rid the plug of oil. Some oil is normal.
You may want to check the oil pump and adjust if using to much.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by papa hogg scoot
Yes Scooter86 yamaha has been making products for an lomg time...The question was what was the differance between the hotter and colder plug, and i answered it the best I could. I always use recommended plug for stock engines. His atv may need carb tuning or exhaust cleaned up...just try to answer questions and help....
Huh? He asked if he should go to a hotter or colder plug. I gave him of an example in my past experience where a hotter plug helped, and recommended sticking with the oem plug on a basically stock motor. Did I not also answer some of his questions?

Old 07-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'll add...
You are using a R plug cuz NGK (and maybe others) only make resistor plugs now.
A higher number is colder w/a NGK other plug company's have the higher number being hotter. So this can vary w/manufacturer.
I recommend going to a better plug. A BR8EV maybe. Yes it's a 10 dollar plug. I feel the Iridium plugs are the best....Better zap means more braaap! LOL
hmmm, is R50 for injector use?

"Yamaha has 20+ years of Blaster production,".....Yep, finally gave up trying to make it good...LMAO...<EG> j/k