Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

199 timberwolf 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 timberwolf 4X4

new guy here. just bought a used 1999 timberwolf 4x4. I bought a 1994 2 wd wolf and always wanted a 4wd . found one locally the other day and bought it.

it has some issues that i will be correcting. it runs fine. has a small oil leak where the cylinder bolts to the transmission. no problem to fix.
rear brake drum and cables hang up. probally going to buy a new drum. either the drum is worn to much or it is the actuator where it comes thru the backing plate. no problem.

so upon inspecting the wheels and tires i noticed that the right front wheel and strut will move about an inch if you grab the top of the wheel. the other side doesnt move at all. everything seams to be tight and nothing broken. when i ride and turn to the left sosmething is making a noise.. cant tell where exactly its coming from but it wont do this when going straight or turning right. does it backing up and forward. cv joint going bad or is it the right front wheel. this ATV has some damage and i guess the strut must have been damaged when it was rolled.

i have another timberwolf that is a 2 wd. will the struts on a 2 wd fit a 4wd?

also the front tires are 23 inch and the back tires are 22 inch. can u bdo that on a full time 4 wheel drive? seams like it would bind up the gears.

thanks BRU

Old 08-14-2010, 08:39 PM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!
Default Play in the Wheel

I would guess with getting that much play in the wheel that you have the bearings shot...Good news is that it is something that is easy to replace. I guess that you could start by looking at the the ball joints top and bottom on that side, but if it makes noise when the pressure is placed onto the wheel (turning) I would point to the bearings. I have done mine in my 95 wolverine a couple times and just did my 08 big bear with 1500 miles...when you get started remember that a propane torch and a can of wd40 are about your best friends...when you get the new bearings freeze them for about an hour...they will fit in the hub much easier...another hint...when you get the old bearings out keep one of the outer races...use something and cut a slice across it so it will squeeze down...use the old race to push the new bearing in! I would do both sides even if the one doesnt feel like it needs it...the extra 20 bucks will be worth not tearing them apart separately.
mudslinger2

Old 08-14-2010, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

broken steering knuckle. the only thing holding it together was the backing plate for the brakes. 250 bucks to fix. no problem, maybe someone has a used one.

BRU

Old 08-15-2010, 08:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mudslinger2
I would guess with getting that much play in the wheel that you have the bearings shot...Good news is that it is something that is easy to replace. I guess that you could start by looking at the the ball joints top and bottom on that side, but if it makes noise when the pressure is placed onto the wheel (turning) I would point to the bearings. I have done mine in my 95 wolverine a couple times and just did my 08 big bear with 1500 miles...when you get started remember that a propane torch and a can of wd40 are about your best friends...when you get the new bearings freeze them for about an hour...they will fit in the hub much easier...another hint...when you get the old bearings out keep one of the outer races...use something and cut a slice across it so it will squeeze down...use the old race to push the new bearing in! I would do both sides even if the one doesnt feel like it needs it...the extra 20 bucks will be worth not tearing them apart separately.
mudslinger2

thanks mudslinger. i was able to find a steering knuckle on ebay for 14.99
chaching!!!. that saved me a ton of cash. i will be taking your info for the bearing work.

BRU

Old 08-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Installed the steering knuckle. everything on that job is done. pretty easy to do.

still makes a lot of noise only while turning left in any gear forward or reverse. smooth running going straight and turning to the right. feels like it is in the area of the back of the motor and rear end.
sound like it is binding gears in a way.

i thought yamaha rearends were solid axle with ring and pinion. should do it all the time.

could it be a universal joint. i dont know where to begin to check for that. how do you get the outer cover off the rear driveshaft?

thanks BRU