Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2 inch lift on grizz 700 feels like crap.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 05:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 inch lift on grizz 700 feels like crap.

Hi guys,, just bought a gorilla stage 1 2'lift kit,had the motorsport shop install it,took it for a ride and on every bump and rock im feeling some sort of bottoming out,,some sort of play in it,,(the front end only) appreciate any help,,thanks.

Old 08-28-2010, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider

You may just need to adjust your rebound to a faster rate or even possibly service your shock (depending on mileage and wear) Best thing to try is to remove the lift and see if it still does it and then at least you'll know where to look. I will be changing the preloads on mine tommorow cause they really settled and now my fronts are at 1" lower then the rears unloaded, 1/2" lower loaded and should be at least 1/2" higher then the rears loaded. This is making my fronts crash pretty bad on ruts and whoops. Happened today to me and I realized the fronts were lower.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Butch450
You may just need to adjust your rebound to a faster rate or even possibly service your shock (depending on mileage and wear) Best thing to try is to remove the lift and see if it still does it and then at least you'll know where to look. I will be changing the preloads on mine tommorow cause they really settled and now my fronts are at 1" lower then the rears unloaded, 1/2" lower loaded and should be at least 1/2" higher then the rears loaded. This is making my fronts crash pretty bad on ruts and whoops. Happened today to me and I realized the fronts were lower.
Hey Butch,,, yep i just brought it back to shop and hes gonna call Elka and see if there needs to a an adjustment,, the mechanic at shop is saying that the 2 inches expanded them so maybe need more airpressure dunno,,but hopefully it will be fixed for next weekend,,,thanks.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:20 PM
Pro Rider

That's the one reason why I won't add a lift. Regardless of what the others have told you (west coast GC guys) the lift will put your shocks in extended state and if one wheel is loaded and the other unloaded (1 on ground and 1 hanging) it can really mess with the handling and performance of the shock. Elka will say you need to flip the inner collar or even possibly change out springs to a stiffer rate. I had mine setup with stiffer springs to begin with so I have alot of room to adjust my preloads after they settled. My fronts are at the softest setting so I'll crank the spring down like 5 turns to remove some of the static sag and I will be all good to go.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

Ya this is a pain in the ***! i spent a lot of $$ and now i gotta fix and spend more with no riding,,,, so if i crank the preload down (counter clock wise) i'll stiffin them up a bit? or i cant becuae there fully extended? shoot this is confusing.