Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Over Heating Still!!! Suggestions Needed

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:40 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over Heating Still!!! Suggestions Needed

I am at a loss with the over heating issue on my 2000 Kodiak. What I have done so far includes new thermostat, temp sensor on radiator, new cap, new fan, flush of system, verified water pump is working, verified coolant flowing through radiator and just had a total engine rebuild. The only thing left of the original engine was the crank and case. Should I just put a relay and switch in line of the fan and run it all the time, or does anyone have any other ideas?

Old 09-18-2010, 10:55 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The fan never comes on? Is the Rad cap is a critical component of the coolant system ,it controls and maintains the proper pressure of the cooling system for it to work properly. The caps can wear out and do not maintain the proper pressure, a rad shop can pressure test it for you and see if its still at the proper specs. Rad cap relief presure is 13psi in my manual.

Is there any other signs of it over heating besides a warning light? Is it boiling over from the coolant reservoir? Any Steam? Some times the over heat sensor can get out of wack and throw a warning to early.

The thermostat but in upside down? Did you burp the system so there is no air locks?

Old 09-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Range Rover

I just replaced the cap and the last trip out, it boiled out my vent line from the resevoir. The fan is a brand new SPAL which was working fine. Except this past trip, it would come on for a few seconds and then go off, and then come on and go off. It wasn't staying on constant. Is there a relay for the fan that would cause this?

Old 09-18-2010, 11:20 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

The thermal switch controls when a fan comes on and off #13 the fan wire leads to it., Part #54 is called a TERMINAL my guess is that throws the temp warning light. OEM motorcycle and ATV parts from Honda, Yamaha & Polaris – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 09-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Range Rover

I have not changed the thermal switch on the engine. Actually forgot that was there. I will try that. Thanks for the suggestion. I will let you know if that helped as soon as I can.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:35 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Im bad, that terminal is just #54 your DC outlet forget about that thing. LOL

Old 09-18-2010, 11:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

#1 and I do mean 90% of the time a quad overheats is because the radiator fins are clogged with mud and trash. (I did not see that on your list)

The only way to clean a radiator properly is take it out and bench clean it and inspect it.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Range Rover

I figured that you might have meant #14 and it was just a type-o. The thermo switch is $40 bucks. No biggie, since I just spent $1,750 for the engine rebuild. Don't want to blow it up!!! But it was worth it. Went from a 401cc to a 432cc. Runs like a Bat out of Hell.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Range Rover

Doctorturbo, I did that before I put in the new fan. I have tried so many things I can't remember. But thanks for the reminder. If I could only get one of my friends to remember to clean his. I think the only time it ever gets washed is when we get caught in the rain.

Old 09-18-2010, 06:16 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by celltech
I figured that you might have meant #14 and it was just a type-o. The thermo switch is $40 bucks. No biggie, since I just spent $1,750 for the engine rebuild. Don't want to blow it up!!! But it was worth it. Went from a 401cc to a 432cc. Runs like a Bat out of Hell.
Your right Part #14 is also called a thermal switch like #13 as well, never heard of a ATV with two thermal switches.

Any how. the one connected to the fan leads is the one you want.

Quick Reply: Over Heating Still!!! Suggestions Needed