Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

blaster axle removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blaster axle removal

Hi we have an 02 Yamaha Blaster 200cc any sugestions on how to remove axle? Have clymer manual and followed what it says but not working. Removed left side wheel hub and axle nuts-2. then slide wheel hub back on as manual said to use a hammer and pipe to pound axle thru to the right side-- tried but only slide right about an inch.
Thanks for your help

Old 09-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by mkrkarting
Hi we have an 02 Yamaha Blaster 200cc any sugestions on how to remove axle? Have clymer manual and followed what it says but not working. Removed left side wheel hub and axle nuts-2. then slide wheel hub back on as manual said to use a hammer and pipe to pound axle thru to the right side-- tried but only slide right about an inch.
Thanks for your help
Did you take the Sprocket and hub off too? The hub should just slide off also.

Once the hub and sprocket are off, put a pair of 2x6 boards on the ground, and use the weight of the swing arm as your hammer using the boards to keep the end of the axle from being damaged. This will effectively hammer the swing arm off of the axle instead of the other way around.

The one thing I could add that may help, is to put a good soaking of a 50/50 Acetone and Automatic Transmission Fluid into the corroded or seized areas to help as a penetrant.... this is THE BEST penetrant available. There isn't a commercial version available that is better either . Not PB blaster, Not WD40, not any of the Liquid Wrench stuff either.

I'm guessing you haven't pulled the swing Arm off too..... Go ahead and get it off the machine so you can do some work. It's pretty easy to pull and re-install. If you haven't done so, get some swing arm bearings and replace them while you're there.... they're affordable too. Kits on ebay and at RMM and other places are very reasonably priced. If you have bad hub bearings (sounds like they need to be replaced) you are probably not far from a set of swing arm bearings/bushings too.

Old 09-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks will try.... yes did spray with pb blaster.Yes sproket and hub came off easily. Axle isnt seized or anything,bearings were starting to have some play in them so wanted to change before more gets damaged as recently had to replace entire rear end on a 300 ex new axle,bearing holder,bearings,hub etc was costly and am hoping to get just bearings done on blaster--- time will tell when get apart. Yes bought both used about a year ago. Thanks for info back to work.......

Old 09-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Range Rover

Seeing you said the axle moved about an inch I have to wonder if you removed the rear brake caliper. On the blaster it has a floating rear rotor that moves about an inch. If I remember correctly with the dust boots and retainers for the rotor on the axle you won't be able to remove the axle with the caliper in place.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by BlueBlaster
Seeing you said the axle moved about an inch I have to wonder if you removed the rear brake caliper. On the blaster it has a floating rear rotor that moves about an inch. If I remember correctly with the dust boots and retainers for the rotor on the axle you won't be able to remove the axle with the caliper in place.
This is true also,..... but you can remove the brake caliper and avoid having to remove the rotor and boots..... I completely forgot about the brake rotor,.... mine's been missing since I got the machine. I have the makings of an 03 hydraulic rear brake system sitting on the bench to make this one a little better.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

brake caliber was removed , only thing still on axle is brake rotor and hub which doesnt need to be removed as axle goes to right to remove from axle holder . did remove axle and holder as only 2 long bolts that hold it on and placed in vice(lightly) still no luck

Old 10-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Weekend Warrior

Anybody??????
Doesn't show any retainer clips in manual but ?? don't see anything visible that would keep from coming off ??? stilll stuck........

Old 10-02-2010, 08:13 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by mkrkarting
Anybody??????
Doesn't show any retainer clips in manual but ?? don't see anything visible that would keep from coming off ??? stilll stuck........
Sounds like you need a bigger hammer...... I've taken apart 4 of them and none were terrible. I'm just about to replace my 96 rear end with an 03 rear end and swing arm.... Axle and all. I rebuilt the rear end already and it just slid apart,... no hammer necessary.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey ive got a 2000 blaster im replacing the carrier bearings and ive run into a problem iremoved the axle and carrier assembly from the machine. Ialso removed the 2 axle nuts next to the sproket hub and the hub refuses to slide off. Ive tried pb blaster and heating it with a torch and hitting it with a hammer and still refuses to move..... any suggestions?