Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor takes first in MX Opener!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2001, 08:38 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took the Raptor to local mx opener and it finished first in 4 stroke A with 3/4 track lead over second place (416ex). We were grouped in with the 2 stroke A class which was a sea of 250rs.(seven). A trick Nacs Racing R finished first with the Raptor second in the race. The Raptor got the holeshot in the main and held it until spinning in a corner allowing the Nacs R to get by. This was a very small track and he was able to hold off (block) the Raptor. This was a supercross style track. A mx track and the Raptor would have run away with it.

I had my doubts that the Raptor would make strong mx quad but it will. (properly equipped)

The night before I put some different tires and wheels (reinforced rings) on with the grooved car tire on the front and turf tamers on the back. The turf tamers were worn. I am going to groove the rears also to get better traction. They are letting go too much. (what a switch, eh)]

This thing rocks boys!!!!

Oh by the way, my Raptor was raced by a A rider not me. I am a C class rider but I had a foot injury.

The night before we raced my Raptor against a stock Raptor and mine won a drag by thirty feet! The national 250r wanted another race and I raced him this time and beat him by a bike length on concrete. We both changed our gearing and wanted too see how it changed our speeds.

Blue Raptor: TCS Shocks, LoneStar A-Arms +3, DuraBlue axle +5, Fastline Brake Lines, Big Gun Pipe, GYTR Silencer, No-airlid, DG Bumper, Renthal Bar, 42t rear, 12t front, front grooved car tires(19x6x10), Rear turf tamers(18x9.5x8), Reinforced wheels, flipped relay arm.
00 KX 125 ( A real race machine)

Old 03-12-2001, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

congrats ky, by the way did you say you beat the 250r in a drag race ?? what was done to the 250r and how long was the race ??

Chasman
01 blk/wht raptor

Old 03-12-2001, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider

finally.

Old 03-12-2001, 08:51 AM
Range Rover

Chasman,

The 250r that I drag, races the nationals in the 250B class. I am not sure who did the engine but it has been ported and bored to around 265cc since thats as far as he can go and not go to the open class. He has a Paul Turner pipe and coolhead with a spacer that he says is illegal at the nationals. But he had it on when we raced.

Old 03-12-2001, 09:24 AM
Pro Rider

thanks KY, the reason that I asked is because one of my friends has a 250r that he just put back together that is ported with a sparks pipe. He thinks it will smoke the mighty raptor, we'll just have to wait until this snow clears to find out.

Chasman
01 blk/wht raptor
big gun exhaust
dynojet jet kit
pro design filter
6 1" uni vents in lid
yamaha gytr skids
custom taillight cover
gytr shock covers

Old 03-12-2001, 12:13 PM
Pro Rider

I can vouch for the performance KyRaptor's bike. We raced on a limited traction surface, but even then, his would jump out and stay in front of my stock Raptor every time. Top speed seemed to be within 2 or 3 mph of each other, but his jumped out in front really quick.

Old 03-12-2001, 01:25 PM
Range Rover

Ky, how does the BG headpipe mate with that GYT-R silencer? How is the power?

Old 03-12-2001, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah me too KYRaptor. Did the big gun headpipe need any mods to fit the gytr silencer? Thanks

Old 03-12-2001, 03:08 PM
Range Rover

Good Job!

That says more than any high-$$$$$ corprate efforts.

Good Ol' backyardeverydayjoe kind of racing.

Y2K

Old 03-12-2001, 03:42 PM
Range Rover

The Big Gun head pipe and the GYTR silencer do not mate from the factory. The mating pipes are exactly the same size. I took the silencer to a muffler shop and the expanded the end to bolt on to the Big Gun. It is my belief that the biggest gain came from the pipe. When I put the silencer only on it didn't seem to have picked up alot. When I put the pipe on it started backfiring and sputtering.

The silencer has a cone in it that I removed. The silencer is very loud. At first with the cone in it wasn't bad but when I removed the cone it drowns out most other quads.

Please don't get me wrong I am not a good rider by any means. People like Bash, Hyperactive, and OnlyHonda could ride cicles aroud me. If I was on my Raptor it would not have finished around the top at all.

Blue Raptor: TCS Shocks, LoneStar A-Arms +3, DuraBlue axle +5, Fastline Brake Lines, Big Gun Pipe, GYTR Silencer, No-airlid, DG Bumper, Renthal Bar, 42t rear, 12t front, front grooved car tires(19x6x10), Rear turf tamers(18x9.5x8), Reinforced wheels,
00 KX 125 ( A real race machine)

Quick Reply: Raptor takes first in MX Opener!!!!